• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

do i change things or keep the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

i-love-piggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I have nine pigs - 5 females in one hutch and two pairs of boars. Ideally I am going to have to house them all next to each other.

Would it be best to leave as they are or have boy/girl pairings and buy another hutch. This would mean splitting their groups. Obviously I would have to get the boars neutered.

What would you do?

Don't take this at all as advice, but could you neuter both the boys and have one big herd? I was just wondering.

Don't take this at all as advice, but could you neuter both the boys and have one big herd? I was just wondering.

It's usually one neutered boar to a herd of girlies but has not been unknown to have more than one boar in a group.
Personally, it would be a shame to break the piggies up if they are established and happy - could all end up in tears :(

It's usually one neutered boar to a herd of girlies but has not been unknown to have more than one boar in a group.
Personally, it would be a shame to break the piggies up if they are established and happy - could all end up in tears :(

I have seen you every where on here. I'm pretty sure our guinea pigs in our profile pictures look alot alike!

I would leave the groups as they are. Piggies miss their friends even if they have other friends too. I have just lost one of my girls and even though Poppy still had Annabelle she was looking for Daisy. I wouldn't want to make her miss her niece like that and know it was my fault she was looking for her.

How is your new set up going to be? Do be careful that the boys can't smell or see the girls too much or they might get a bit stroppy and hormonal. How close do they live at the moment?

How about just leaving things as they are? If you add one boar then you cannot put three boars together so one would have to live alone. You cannot split up the girls as they are one family now and would miss each other.

At the moment I have a Hutch and run set up outside with my girls and another Hutch and run outside with Albert and Archie in.

They are fairly close to each other but don't seem to have a problem.
I need to move my other boars outside - William and George - because my daughter keeps getting a reaction to them.

I was pondering my options as the layout of my garden means they're going to be housed near to my other pigs x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back