do i need to do anything to "winterize" my cage

horsefeather

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
since the weather starting to cool off, I'm wondering if i need to do anything to my cage in prep for winter.

it sits infront of 2 windows that are never opened. windows are double paned with thermal shades that help block any drafts. theyre in my sunroom, which is inside the house, but it can get cold in there. usually low to midish 60. we keep the house around 68-70. outdoor temps can get into the negative F temps. and i pretty much live in a wind tunnel.

I'm thinking ill put a fleece blanket over the back of their cage to block any drafts from the windows but should i do anything else? they like their own space and dont snuggle but their cage liners have a cozy pocket they can both get into at opposite ends.

moving them to a different part of the house isnt an option

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
covering the cage with a blanket will help protect from draughts but 68-70 is around 20-21 degrees c so it is within their comfort range anyway. Ensure the temperature doesn’t drop too low overnight - perhaps leaving the heating on or putting in snugglesafe heat pads so they got a warm area but otherwise with the room temperature you mention, they shouldn’t be cold at all