• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Do Larger Guineas Suffer More In The Heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katherine

Soppiest Piggie Owner 2015
Reaction score
I've been feeling a bit worried about Queenie the last few days. On Wednesday she got a bit of a wet bottom (definitely not diarrhoea, her poos are completely normal), and the only thing I could think it might have been was that they'd had some grass for the first time in quite a while, (although not a large amount, and all the other piggies were fine). They also all had a piece of strawberry, which is not a normal food for them, but again, the others were fine.

We cleaned her up, and it doesn't seem to have happened again. On Thursday we had to take Cupcake to the vets for a check-up (cystitis), so though it would be as well to take Queenie along as well for a once-over. The vet said she couldn't find anything wrong, but to keep an eye on her, and that she probably had just had a bit of an upset tummy.

So, apart from that one thing, there is nothing obviously wrong with Queenie, she is just not quite herself. She seems a bit tired, and isn't quite as enthusiastic over her food as she normally is, although her weight appears to be stable. I wonder whether it is just that she is struggling a bit with the weather, especially as she is a very large guinea, at 1.5kg. Our two smallest guineas are bouncing around like anything!

We've got to take Cupcake to the vets for another check-up on Saturday, so we could take Queenie again if necessary.

What I would like to know is how other people find large guineas are coping with the weather? Do they seem more lethargic?

I should add, the guineas are inside, and they are in one of the cooler rooms.

I've been feeling a bit worried about Queenie the last few days. On Wednesday she got a bit of a wet bottom (definitely not diarrhoea, her poos are completely normal), and the only thing I could think it might have been was that they'd had some grass for the first time in quite a while, (although not a large amount, and all the other piggies were fine). They also all had a piece of strawberry, which is not a normal food for them, but again, the others were fine.

We cleaned her up, and it doesn't seem to have happened again. On Thursday we had to take Cupcake to the vets for a check-up (cystitis), so though it would be as well to take Queenie along as well for a once-over. The vet said she couldn't find anything wrong, but to keep an eye on her, and that she probably had just had a bit of an upset tummy.

So, apart from that one thing, there is nothing obviously wrong with Queenie, she is just not quite herself. She seems a bit tired, and isn't quite as enthusiastic over her food as she normally is, although her weight appears to be stable. I wonder whether it is just that she is struggling a bit with the weather, especially as she is a very large guinea, at 1.5kg. Our two smallest guineas are bouncing around like anything!

We've got to take Cupcake to the vets for another check-up on Saturday, so we could take Queenie again if necessary.

What I would like to know is how other people find large guineas are coping with the weather? Do they seem more lethargic?

I should add, the guineas are inside, and they are in one of the cooler rooms.

Older, frail/ill and baby piggies are the ones that are struggling most with the heat, as will guinea pigs with an underlying heart/circulatory problem. Long-haired guinea pig with their full coat are also suffering more, as they are walking around with the equivalent of a ski suit. Overweight guinea pigs are also under inceased stress.
The wetness of the bum can simply be from lying in one place; several of my older piggies have done that yesterday, combined with a higher than normal fluid intake. I hope that Queenie is going to pick up again; as there is no clear symptom, all you can do for the moment is to hope that she'll pick up again.

The most energetic of my whole bunch was my 5 months old new arrival Helygen; she seemed least affected by the heat.
Here are our tips on what you can do in hot weather: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/hot-weather-management-and-heat-strokes.105317/

:D It is quite likely that larger piggies could suffer more from the heat, due to their increased mass. Lethargy and decreased appetite are two symptoms that the heat is affecting them. I do not think a wet bottom has anything to do with the heat, though. If you think she is getting too hot, you could wrap a cool wet towel around her for a few minutes to help her cool down, or wipe her ears with cotton wool soaked in cold water (or anything soaked in cold water!)

Older, frail/ill and baby piggies are the ones that are struggling most with the heat, as will guinea pigs with an underlying heart/circulatory problem. Long-haired guinea pig with their full coat are also suffering more, as they are walking around with the equivalent of a ski suit. Overweight guinea pigs are also under inceased stress.
The wetness of the bum can simply be from lying in one place; several of my older piggies have done that yesterday, combined with a higher than normal fluid intake. I hope that Queenie is going to pick up again; as there is no clear symptom, all you can do for the moment is to hope that she'll pick up again.

The most energetic of my whole bunch was my 5 months old new arrival Helygen; she seemed least affected by the heat.

Thanks, Wiebke. Although Queenie is large framed, I do think she is carrying around a bit too much weight (although the vet never commented on her size, to my surprise). Maybe that is what is the problem. As far as we know, she doesn't have any heart problems. She has drunk a little more than normal, I think, and hasn't been moving around so much, so maybe that explains the wetness. I hope that's all it was.

Yes, I do hope that Queenie picks up. It's worrying when they're not quite their normal selves.

Thanks, Wiebke. Although Queenie is large framed, I do think she is carrying around a bit too much weight (although the vet never commented on her size, to my surprise). Maybe that is what is the problem. As far as we know, she doesn't have any heart problems. She has drunk a little more than normal, I think, and hasn't been moving around so much, so maybe that explains the wetness. I hope that's all it was.

Yes, I do hope that Queenie picks up. It's worrying when they're not quite their normal selves.

Here are tips on how to find out whether Queenie is a good weight for her size or not. Body sizes in adult guinea pigs vary so much that you cannot just go by weight alone.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...ng-ideal-weight-overweight-underweight.38805/

:D It is quite likely that larger piggies could suffer more from the heat, due to their increased mass. Lethargy and decreased appetite are two symptoms that the heat is affecting them. I do not think a wet bottom has anything to do with the heat, though. If you think she is getting too hot, you could wrap a cool wet towel around her for a few minutes to help her cool down, or wipe her ears with cotton wool soaked in cold water (or anything soaked in cold water!)

Thankyou, that is helpful! Yes, lethargy and decreased appetite about sums it up I guess. I would like to see Queenie throwing her weight around again, and troughing the food like normal!

My Little Rose was struggling last night and she is one of my bigger pigs (she grew out of her name pretty quickly). We listened to her chest and there was no fluid so after giving her some additional fluids by syringe she was more lively and was back to normal this morning. They are all struggling a bit though and the skinnies are sitting out in the open for once. I agree best to get her checked if you are worried though.

Hi, with specific reference to "how are large guinea pigs coping with the weather"......We have three boars living as a pair and a single in a two tier c and c cage. I recently started a thread re their weight as all are over a kg and big boys, but in proportion. It seems that they have reached adult size and weight despite being just six months old. So they are still teenagers and very active with lots of popcorning, perimeter running and talking to each other between upstairs and downstairs. For the last few days they have been very quiet though, sleeping lots and just chilling out, but still with periods of rumble strutting, etc. They are at the cool end of the kitchen, eating and drinking well and enjoying floor time. I don't know if their size is relevant, but they are certainly less active in this heat. If everything else is ok I wouldn't worry.

benjie struggles with the heat and he's a larger piggy - 1.3kg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back