Do my piggies need a new cage?

Iggleandpiggle959

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello I have had my piggies for a couple of months now and they have been living in an old wardrobe turned into a five story cage but it has come to my attention that guinea pigs should live in flat one story c and c cage or a hutch. My piggies only use the first level. I want to get a cage which is most likely a pannel cage or this run I found online ( images of these down below.) they have a large run they go in for a lot of the day and pretty much all day at weekends and just go into their cage at night. Is it okay to keep them in the wardrobe cage or should I get a new cage? If I need a new cage do you know if there is an animal like rats or something else which would suit the wardrobe cage? Thank you for reading :)

Attachments

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I would get them a better cage. The wardrobe cage is not appropriate due to the levels, but also the one bottom level (which is the only level that counts towards the cage size) ( it is difficult to tell from a picture) does not look like it meets minimum size requirements.

You are correct - piggies need their cage to be large enough on one single level (one upper level is fine but is considered as a bonus space only and cannot be counted towards the cage size).

Two sows need a a cage size measuring (on one level) a minimum of 120cm x 60cm (this measurement is an RSPCA Welfare minimum size) but 150cm x 60cm is better.
Two boars need a minimum of 150cm x 60cm but 180cm x 60cm is better.
However anything you can provide beyond these sizes is great!

They also need a lot more hay than is visible in the picture

Last edited:

Iggleandpiggle959

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello thank you so much for your help. I will measure the cage to see how much space is there. Also there is a hayrack on the door and when I add hay to their beds they mostly eat that :)

Fantasimo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a 3x5 c&c with a 2x2 loft, and I have to say that I’m so glad I gave my boys more room. They had a large shop bought cage before, but it’s been so nice to be able to spread their things out, give them more nooks and toys and watch them really spread out. I’m sure your pigs will really appreciate the extra space you give them 🙂

Iggleandpiggle959

New Born Pup
Reaction score
thank you for your advice I will definitely be upgrading their space as I want them to be as happy as possible. Thank you so much again for your help