• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Do piggies know when their friends are sick?

Mo & Stubbins & Vani

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! :)
As some of you know, Stubbins has not been doing well lately.
Recently, I have noticed a big change in the behavior of my two other piglets (who are not sick). While they used to all sleep in separate areas, they now all "stuff themselves" into a hidey pocket together. Most of the time, when Stubbins is sleeping, they lounge directly in front of her hidey, as if they are protecting her. They are doing this all the time.
When I pick her up to syringe feed, the other two piggies stand right beside me while I am holding her.
Is it possible that the other piggies are acting this way in order to protect their sick friend?
Thank you! :)

Hi! :)
As some of you know, Stubbins has not been doing well lately.
Recently, I have noticed a big change in the behavior of my two other piglets (who are not sick). While they used to all sleep in separate areas, they now all "stuff themselves" into a hidey pocket together. Most of the time, when Stubbins is sleeping, they lounge directly in front of her hidey, as if they are protecting her. They are doing this all the time.
When I pick her up to syringe feed, the other two piggies stand right beside me while I am holding her.
Is it possible that the other piggies are acting this way in order to protect their sick friend?
Thank you! :)

Yes, they do indeed. Piggies can be enormously supportive of ill piggies or dying companions, either by staying with them or keeping a respectful distance by a careful eye if the piggy in question would have removed themselves from the lair had they had the choice. My piggies have often alerted to me something being wrong!

That is so sweet of them!
Piggies may be small, but they are definitely very intelligent and loving creatures. :luv:

Oh yes, it’s a very touching part of piggy culture that I have observed many times over the years. When I lost my piggy Felix at the start of the year I knew the day had come to take him for his final trip to the vets when I found Evie guarding him. Previously, before we knew he was unwell, Felix had lived with Angel (a little disabled permanent resident of the rescue) and he had become noticeably more attentive towards her in her final days, too. I am sure that they are offering comfort and support to their poorly companions.

Oh yes, it’s a very touching part of piggy culture that I have observed many times over the years. When I lost my piggy Felix at the start of the year I knew the day had come to take him for his final trip to the vets when I found Evie guarding him. Previously, before we knew he was unwell, Felix had lived with Angel (a little disabled permanent resident of the rescue) and he had become noticeably more attentive towards her in her final days, too. I am sure that they are offering comfort and support to their poorly companions.
:luv: 💕

Aw they really do, often I have found that the first sign that one of my piggies is unwell is their usual arch rival who pretends not to like them guarding the place where they are sleeping or wheeking nervously for us to come and see what is wrong! They understand each other so much better than us hooman folks ever could, and they are very fiercely protective of any of their herd who is ill :)

This photo was taken when Ted had had his first anaesthetic dental and was not doing well at all. Bill sat outside the little bunny hut Ted was in all day and did not move, guarding him. It was so beautiful but sad to see
F53BA6C1-4ABC-4711-B766-DC66D7118532.jpeg

Oh yes piggies who live together sometimes have a unique bond . . .
I had a piggie who was dying and her friend stayed by her side and talked and licked her all night and was a very beautiful to hear and see. . . She died and she stayed with her until I was allowed to move her. They both now rainbow girls and buried together. Xx

Aw they really do, often I have found that the first sign that one of my piggies is unwell is their usual arch rival who pretends not to like them guarding the place where they are sleeping or wheeking nervously for us to come and see what is wrong! They understand each other so much better than us hooman folks ever could, and they are very fiercely protective of any of their herd who is ill :)
Piggies are so special. 💕

Oh yes piggies who live together sometimes have a unique bond . . .
I had a piggie who was dying and her friend stayed by her side and talked and licked her all night and was a very beautiful to hear and see. . . She died and she stayed with her until I was allowed to move her. They both now rainbow girls and buried together. Xx
That is so sad but so touching. Piggies truly have complex emotions. 💕

When I had to have Velvet PTS in September last year, I went to take her out of the hutch and Christian jumped in front of her as if to say "NO YOU ARE NOT TAKING HER!" He must have known somehow.

Back