Do piggies need absorbent bedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hmm i'm not quite sure whether the title explains what i'm trying to ask or if this is a silly question mallethead! :) I'll explain.... I was replying tonight to a thread about using other types of bedding, and I began to worry! :S

I don't use sawdust, megazorb, or fleece in their main compartments of the hutch just hay and lots of it (their bedding area is covered with fleece and hay.)

I do have plastic (spongy underneath) tiles laid down on the floor of the hutch which i cover with newspaper, and whenever i find soiled hay or wet bedding this is removed twice daily, and replaced with fresh, the tiles are cleaned with pet disinfectant and dried, I'm also going through a large bale of hay a week with the cold weather...but do i need to use a absorbent bedding? Will it keep them a little more insulated too?

Sorry for the silly question, I've just had a little panic over the fact my boys don't have any and was worried it might affect them!

Thank you for your replies in advance, I'm a little worrier at heart :)

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ooo also, they have lots of snuggle cups, wooden houses, cardboard box's in the hutch too!

Romily

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I used shavings as the absorbent part of my bedding as I had tried just having them on hay and found it too stinky. If you are cleaning it out that often and are happy with the way it is working then keep going.

Status
Not open for further replies.