• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

do teddybear guinea pigs kill there babies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
both my teddybear guineas have had babies and both lots have died
Do you mean rex or teddy guinea pigs Jennian? I'm so sorry to hear of your losses, were the sows and babies all in together? I have never heard of a specific breed of piggy being more likely to cull their litter than another. In the rare instance when this happens the mums are usually either very young or very stressed.:( Were the babies born healthy i.e. they weren't premature or still born?

Once again, sorry for your loss.

jennian

Junior Guinea Pig
i dont't know there furs like frizzy wireie. lolas were tiny and it was clear they were poorley all but 1 and he died at a week old but nahla had 3 healthy good sized on saturday theres 1 remaining now but ive took her away from her and i'm gonna syringe feed her x

Romily

Adult Guinea Pig
Hmmm I have never heard of a case of a sow killing her babies although I know it can happen. Do you know the background of your piggies? It could be if they are very young that their babies didn't get enough nutrients and have died of natural causes. Did they have signs that they had been hurt by their mums?

Cgilchrist

Adult Guinea Pig
So sorru for you loss can't answer your question but just wanted to say it is dangerous to syringe babies as windpipe and gullet are so close the syringe could go to the bubbas lungs. They say warm full fgat goa
ts milk soaked in bread or off the back of a spoon. Good luck fingers crossed for littleun

Status
Not open for further replies.