Do Weeds Count Towards Daily Veg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruby Inferno

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Currently I don't have much veg in the house, so the piggies haven't been getting a lot. Maybe a small-medium sized handful. They have, however, been getting piggy-safe fresh forages from the garden including clover and dandelion as well as plenty of grass. Is it all right to feed less veg as long as they are getting fresh forages?

katie-elizabeth

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes - grass counts towards their daily veg so I'd say your doing the right thing :)
Mine have really enjoyed the odd bit of sticky weed the last couple of weeks, if you fancy a new forage for them to try!

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, just count it towards their daily veg quota. Mine love dandelions but are always noticeably shocked when the salad bowl at teatime is less full than normal.

Ruby Inferno

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! :)

I do have some stickyweed, but it is in my front garden so I can't feed it to them. It is most likely a bit polluted due to car exhaust, as it is right next to where cars go by.

I also let them have wild geranium during lawn time. A while ago I didn't because I wasn't sure, but I have now realised it is wild and therefore safe. It's pretty much dotted all over my lawn, as well as some on my border (which I did not plant and was not there when I first moved in), so definitely wild.

I occasionally give them catsear too. I've heard it's a little high in phosphorous though, so not very often.

PiggyOinkOink

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've often wondered if they can eat weeds and such random growing plants since in an emergency (i.e collapse/total meltdown of society and it's systems) I had planned to release them in the local city nature reserve..but wondered if they wouldn't get sick from eating the vegetation growing naturally there (aside from being caught and eaten by cats or foxes lol).

Ruby Inferno

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Depends on the forages really, some common ones are not safe at all. And, of course, domesticated piggies can't survive in the wild!

Status
Not open for further replies.