• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Do you ever feel like your pigs deserve better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheeky

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I guess what triggered this is that Elliot has a bloody nostril and I've only just noticed. It is probably from fighting with Ollie and I can't believe I didn't notice it before, he was probably in pain. :(
I love them but at times like this I feel like I can't give them the attention they need. Maybe it is really paranoid of me but I think they started fighting because of the bad atmosphere I create. They deserve to live somewhere that makes them happy and at the moment I don't think are.
As if to prove my point I have just got Elliot out for cuddles but he stiff and chattering at me. :0

Please do not feel bad :( The fact that your boys have fallen out is not your fault at all. You give them a fantastic home.

I often think that my 4 girls deserve better as I have to house them outside.

awww Wheeky all the lovely things you say about your piggies....how could they possibly deserve better?

Dont be so hard on yourself honey x

I have to say that I understand how you feel, things have gone unnoticed that I really should have seen and I felt the exact same way.

Try to think of all the lovely things you do for them. Some of the stuff us cavy slaves do...I don't think many other people would bother with.
You give them the best possible care but it's like children...You cannot watch them ALL the time, sometimes they get hurt and you aren't there to stop it, all you can do is help them when you do see something wrong...Which is what you've done!
You have nothing to feel bad about, your piggies are very lucky, it's clear that you love them.

Elliot is just being a grumpy piggy, I can't say as I blame him, if you had a bloody nose, I can't imagine you'd be in the best of moods, either. Sometimes they just don't fancy a cuddle...Even when we do :(

Your boys are very lucky to have you, you obviously care deeply for them. We can all see that!

I know how you feel though - I was devastated when I saw Boris' abcess and was worried how long he'd been in pain like that (it was less than a day, but I still felt like I'd let him down) He, on the other hand, didn't seem bothered by it at all and was more interested in the dish of kale I had rolleyes

Accidents happen, you can't help that.

And as for rumbling, my lot all have days like that - even Willow sometimes doesn't want a fuss and she usually melts into your lap

Aww I kinda know what you mean, shy (the poorly garden centre pig) wasn't eating or drinking just sat in a corner and I felt useless.
At one point I began to wonder if I'd done the right thing bringing her home with me.
But after a bit of trial and error I think i'm getting there, yeah she doesn't like me picking her up and chatters her teeth at me but one she's being cuddled she's fine and would happily stay there for hours.
My piggies are outside I wish they could all be inside but it's just not possible (I'm in the process of buying a shed), I wish I could spend longer with them too but with 2 kids (one of them with a really poorly skin condition who needs a lot of time & care & energy) 2 dogs (ones a puppy) a disabled father (i'm his main carer), 7 guinea pigs and I have a mild form of M.E it's just not possible to be with them constantly if fact I feel sorry for my bf cos he comes way down the list.
I'm sure you do your very best for your fury friends and that's all they need don't be to hard on yourself hun .

Don't be hard on yourself; they have a fantastic life with you, we can see how happy they are by the fab pictures you post of them :) I guess like humans they have "off" days and sometimes like to be left to themselves. I'm sure in a few days, if not already he'll be back to his usual self and you will have forgotten all about it :)

No need to give yourself a tough time, if you were to be watching them 24h a day they would be miserable! It is clear that you are a loving and caring owner x

Hi,

I think we all think could we provide more for our piggies, are we doing enough?

Don't worry I think you are doing a great job by the sounds of it:))

I know I do, I'm constantly spot cleaning my boars cage as they poo like mad:{ and washing/drying fleece and towels I change the fleece/ towels every two days but I still feel they are dirty:(

Also I worry if they have enough room etc

Please dont feel bad about this, ever body has their bad days and I'm sure it also applies to piggies, I know sometimes when saying good-morning to the girls and going in to give them a cuddle I will often be met with chattering of teeth or they will turn their back on me. I think they are really only happy to see me is if i have goodies in my hand.

He was chattering because he was telling you off for being so down on yourself. The mere fact that you question your care of them proves you are a brilliant slave who cares very much about their welfare. Elliot just wants his slave to be in happy slave mode again.

Take care, you are great and just remember that xx

The fact that you're on this forum shows how much you care for your guinea pigs, don't give yourself such a hard time.I think we all worry about our guinea pigs to a certain extent, it just shows what a caring and responsible piggy owner you are! x>>

Maybe I just shouldn't have guinea pigs in my life. I love them but the flip side is that when I see a guinea for adoption I want to kill myself because I am not allowed to give him a home. Like the equivilant of a child who sulks because they can't get their own way.

I know that there are so many guineas out there who need a home and I can't give it to them and it cuts me up inside.

I sound like a horrible person. :(

I think you have to just focus on the lovely babies you have as there will always be suffereing in the world and one person can only do so much x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back