do you give your guineas treats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
i have a friend who gives her guineas treats.
now i would have thought a guinea treat would look something like this:
raisin1.jpg

but no. she gives her guineas nestle chocolate bars which she buys online http://www.twenga.co.uk/dir-Food-and-Drink,Sweet-delicacies,Chocolate-bars-10001 (apparently they dont like cadburys or the bars from the newsagents, apparently guineas can tell where a chocolate bar is bought)
now i think this is nonsense, and i dont think guines should be eating kitkats or milybars but then again i dont own guineas or really know anything about them, so i wondered what you thought?

gizmo01

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
you are right guineas shouldnt eat diary products or chocolate. my treats for the boys consist of fruit salads, veggie salads or a garden salad with the occasion piggy chew bar

nutmeg

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
No, your right chocolat is not good. A couple of mine like the odd raisin, but most of them prefer just to eat the box! For treats mine like an apple core, or a green bean. They wont touch the little packets of guinea pig treats you can buy from pet shops. x

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ooh, I'd never feed mine chocolate, it's poisonous. I used to feed them rotastak yoghurt drops, but they are more healthy now and have the odd pea or blueberry as a treat (which they all love).

Wheeky

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am sneaky. Instead of putting a bowl of nuggets in the cage, I open the door and shake the bucket and they come running. Then I feed them nuggets one by one. That way I can make sure my fatty pig doesn't hog them all, and also they have become tamer as a result. Even my extremely timid pig will come all the way up to me to snatch a pellet, then go and hide somewhere to eat it. :))

They get very excited over nugget time, so I suppose they think of them as treats.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
oh my word! Mine have fruit and veg as treats. I did buy some gertie treats but they turn their nose up at them and completely ignore it :))

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I brought my two boys some chocolate drops that were labelled as guinea pig food at a petshop.

I offered them some but they all ignored it and refused to even touch it. Luckily I got curious the same day to see if it was okay for them or not and after being told (on here) that chocolate is not good for them, I immediately tossed it in the bin and just feed them vegetables.

As a treat mine tend to like a bit of apple or a grape. (only rarely though)

paulag

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Giving unsuitable food is a form of cruelty. Fresh veg is the only suitable treat - even the majority of treats sold in pet shops are sugary, fatty rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.