• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Does anyone else leave a care guide? Just in case anything happens.

Bradshaw Piggies

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Probably just me being a planner and a worrier... but I have printed (and illustrated 😂 ) an in depth guide of how to care for my piggies, that I leave in their room. This is so that if anything happens to me and I can't be there (hopefully not), my husband or family can take care of them in my absence. What was meant to be a quick 'how-to daily guide' became 50 pages 🙈🙈🙈

It contains everything from AM and PM routines, feeding, cleaning (daily, weekly, monthly), exercise time, handling, health checks etc - and even has a meet the piggies (profiles) section! I have all my emergency contacts and vet contacts in their too.

Has anyone else done this or is it just me?

142051925_895969630944458_6103434659950274512_n.jpg
143767197_882072172555818_2732523268675770717_n.jpg

It’s something which has gone through my mind to do but I’ve not yet done. My youngest daughter knows the animal routine as she does it with me but my husband wouldnt have a clue where to start!

Whatever rocks your boat and makes you happy. I wondered of I can leave my will with a note 'if you like my money, you'll like my pets' :))

I do write care plans when my pets are in boarding, but my family members know the routine and that I would come and haunt them if they didn't look after them to my standard :yikes:

Whatever preparations you make is great help for those you're leaving behind. It's difficult to make decisions on behalf of someone on top of the grief.

My husband only knows that they’re cleaned out on a Friday and given veggies morning and night. He’d forget to top them up with hay, poo pick and change their water so this is a great idea and definitely something I need to look in to x

This is brilliant! The piggies have stayed at both my mums and OH mums so I would hope one of them would somewhat remember what to do 😂

My husband knows the general routine, and what time I 'tuck' them in. But he's never warmed up the heat pads. I think he would be fine looking after them.

We only give a care guide for our piggies whenever we take them to boarding when we go on holidays. Usually a bit extensive when one of them is sick. We board them at Northampton as well so they are closer to Cat & Rabbit in case there's an emergency.

Thankfully my OH is very much involved in the care of the piggies, so he would be ok i wasn't around to look after them. I do a little note when we go on holiday if any pig is on meds or needs any special attention. My piggies like going to our boarders, they are out running around as soon as we put them in their holiday cages. They even wheek for Paul when i put him on speaker phone in my home. At least i know they are happy when we are away which is the most important thing.

Thankfully my OH is very much involved in the care of the piggies, so he would be ok i wasn't around to look after them. I do a little note when we go on holiday if any pig is on meds or needs any special attention. My piggies like going to our boarders, they are out running around as soon as we put them in their holiday cages. They even wheek for Paul when i put him on speaker phone in my home. At least i know they are happy when we are away which is the most important thing.
That was a worry of mine the first time (and only so far) we put them in boarding. I was a bit disappointed with the size of the cage they were in as it was (I think) just the standard size. But they were okay and I think they enjoyed themselves. There's a time my niece and her dad came in to feed and check on the piggies. We were away for the weekend, though I can't remember where we went!

I left a list of instructions the first time I left the piggies with my partner when I went away. When I came home it hadn't moved, I could tell he hadn't read it. The boys were fine, a little heavier but fine, (I suspect the begging worked on him!) so I didn't do it again. They look disappointed when fuss pot comes home so they must have been really fed up last year when I only managed to get away once!

I keep meaning to getting round to doing this....I can imagine if my mum was left looking after mine with no guidance......they'd have cereal bowls full of nuggets!

I haven’t done anything that impressive.
Usually a sheet with a named photo so the career knows which one is which.
Feeding instructions and contact numbers for me and the vet.
Also any piggy foibles to watch out for.

I’ve never thought of doing anything like this but the organiser in me has suddenly decided that I want to do one! It will save me having to type up a new care guide each time I go away as I always forget where I save it! I really like the idea of the piggie profiles aswell 🤣

Back