• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Does anyone else own a dirty piggy?

Claire5012

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I got my first boar as a single pig and always planned to get a friend for him but he was a little on the naughty side (probably male hormones) so I thought I'd wait until he calmed down a bit first. It was about 4 months until my second pig came along. In that time I had done a lot of research and saw that everyone spot cleaned their cages daily and did a full clean once a week. I spot cleaned daily but he was so clean and tidy a full clean seemed pointless and I only did it once a month and it didn't really need doing then. I assumed once my second pig came along it would more than likely need doing every 2 weeks. Along came my second pig and honestly I could do a full cage clean as in throw everything and disinfect twice a day! He pees everywhere and sleeps in piles of poo. I have added vetbed and a puppy pad underneath in their beds to help keep them dry and apart from pee in all areas of the cage, the puppy pad is saturated! I do a full clean every week but change the fleece and pad daily. The cage looks lovely when its first done (I do it in the evening) but by the morning it looks like I haven't touched it for a month. He certainly keeps me on my toes! XD

We have 2 very clean toilet trained lady piggies then we adopted 2 more who are very dirty and wee and poo in their beds and sleep in it and also poo in the food dish.
I'm switching to Vetfleece with their recommended washable Inconti-pet absorbent puppy mat underneath later today, I'll post on the forum how this works out!

My boys are horrendous! They are in their run all day at the moment so are only in their cage between 9pm and 7.30am and I am still having to change fleece every two days. I dread to think what it is going to be like when they are in their cage all winter! My rabbit is litter trained so I think he has spoilt me a bit!

I'm afraid that this is normal piggy behavior. I can't believe how much time i spend picking up piggy poo but I don't mind as long as they are all happy. The skinny pigs are the worst, they produce a massive amount of poo for their small size, although they also never stop eating. Food just seems to go in one end and get squeezed out at the other!
Happy, healthy piggies. :luv:

Omg yes 😆 Buttons' two baby boys, Ralph and Twiglet are actually little pigs. They dig up their fleece, poo all underneath it (sweet bejeebers I've never seen so much poo from such little men), rip up or fold the puppy pad, push all of their hay out of the hay tray and pull the puppy pad out from the bottom... I love them very much but flippin heck they're messy!

Omg yes 😆 Buttons' two baby boys, Ralph and Twiglet are actually little pigs. They dig up their fleece, poo all underneath it (sweet bejeebers I've never seen so much poo from such little men), rip up or fold the puppy pad, push all of their hay out of the hay tray and pull the puppy pad out from the bottom... I love them very much but flippin heck they're messy!
Sounds like typical boy behaviour!

We are testing out the Vetfleece tonight but after 10 minutes in the cage (when the veggies ran out) Jezebel lifted the edge of it up with her big chubby piggy mouth and pulled hard and tipped 4 hidey tubes and houses, a hay tray, and Puggle, upside down! Think she was checking for carrots... Piggle will be straight underneath weeing in unexpected places :)

Puggle is fine, everyone tips her upside down all the time because she's the smallest, and she got her revenge by jumping on top of the fleecy tube when Jezebel was inside and squashing her :)
The Vetfleece works really well, it was covered in poops which took a while to pick up but there were no damp patches and no wee smell this morning!

Poor little Puggle. If she came to live here nobody would tip her upside down!:bal:

Back