Does anyone else work at a vet and experience calls from people wanting to get rid of their pigs?

4boipigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This is a rant/question of sorts.

I work at a vet. I have for about 6 months. I acquired my second set of pigs after someone called us in October because they had found guinea pigs abandoned in a fried chicken box. Recently someone had called because they were unknowingly sold a male/female pair, and now have babies. Both people wanted to know what to do/where to take the pigs. The second caller was under the impression *I* would take the pigs because a coworker mentioned I have pigs. This week, someone came to my work and just dumped an entire bearded dragon set up with the lizard and walked away. Luckily I wasn't present for that event.

Of course, it upsets me that people think we're a place to leave their unwanted critters. Does anyone here work at a vet and experience these things? How do you handle it? In my state we have a few pig rescues, but they are almost always full. I left a list of pig rescues for my coworkers, but I've been told by the rescues to take the pigs to a shelter if the rescue is full.

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m a fellow vet staff! I’m a veterinary nurse in Cambridgeshire and my fellow nurses and myself usually end up adopting any animals deemed ‘stray’.

I had only been there a month when I bought home my JRT whom had been abandoned with a prolapsed anus.We recently had a piggy bought in who had ringworm and the o didn’t want to pay for the treatment so we kept her, treated her and have now revoked her with my other nurse (Id have taken her if she was male).

It is difficult to see them just discarded but it is unfortunately a big part of the job. Luckily, our vets offer a sign over so that we then own the pets and can look to rehome within our circle and clients.

If you ever need to talk, message me :)

Wheeksers

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I do not work at the vet, but I just wanted to mention that this is so sad. I also wonder if this will continue to increase over the coming months as winter hits in, people don't wanna leave, and the strain of the pandemic goes up.

As a side note, @Jesse's pigs and @4boipigs - Thank you for the work you do. Truly and deeply. <3

Hath

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I work for a rescue and had animals abandoned at my doorstep before. Not anymore, now we've moved to cul-de-sac. But my colleagues and dog wardens had the same experience. Sometimes people think just leaving them with someone responsible and knowledgeable is enough as our conscience won't let us sleep until they're safe.
I have no idea what organisations you have over the pond to help you. Whilst it's not justified to abandon them and it breaks my heart, I hate seeing them on 'free to a good home' adverts more.

RedLoredAmazon

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When I used to work for one of the big chain pet stores as a teen, someone dumped a whole box of rats in the delivery bay. We weren't getting any deliveries that day and it was really cold out. Thankfully someone went out for a smoke break and found the box before the rats got too cold. We ended up putting the up for adoption in the store.

The local humane society has the local news to please ask people not to dump animals at their facilities especially since it is starting to get cold.

David Piggie Lover

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
This is sad. I don't work at a vets but I'm down on there as Guinea pig guy . They know I would take one if needs . . I have room and love to share. Xx
The owners have lots animals that are left . . Lucky no piggies yet.

Bill & Ted

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
It’s such a disposable society that we live in now, it’s so sad and totally unacceptable. Adults should commit to looking after pets that they have allowed their children to have, being bored is no excuse! What lessons are the parents teaching their kids :no:

Pound Shilling & Pig

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I used to work at a vets, it was usually kittens that were left on the doorstep not piggies. I try not to be judgemental of people who abandon animals at places such as vets, I don't know their circumstances and think maybe they are desperate and just can't cope or the pet is at risk from an other family member and they are trying to do their best for the animal by leaving it somewhere safe. But dumping animals at the side of the road, etc, well that is entirely different.

What I found the hardest when working at the vets were people who didn't want to have their pets treated because of the cost even tho they could afford it. One time a man got really angry and said it was ridiculous it would cost £70 to have his rabbits injured leg treated because the rabbit had only cost £10!! He wanted it pts instead, well that rabbit got signed over, treated, went to a rabbit rescue and found a new loving home.

David Piggie Lover

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I used to work at a vets, it was usually kittens that were left on the doorstep not piggies. I try not to be judgemental of people who abandon animals at places such as vets, I don't know their circumstances and think maybe they are desperate and just can't cope or the pet is at risk from an other family member and they are trying to do their best for the animal by leaving it somewhere safe. But dumping animals at the side of the road, etc, well that is entirely different.

What I found the hardest when working at the vets were people who didn't want to have their pets treated because of the cost even tho they could afford it. One time a man got really angry and said it was ridiculous it would cost £70 to have his rabbits injured leg treated because the rabbit had only cost £10! He wanted it pts instead, well that rabbit got signed over, treated, went to a rabbit rescue and found a new loving home.
Not bunnys fault. Bad man. :cen: