• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Does anyone have advice re. neutering?

helloitsbecca

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys!

Angus passed away last week, so that leaves my William all on his lonesome. They lived separate due to fighting but used to interact through the bars. William is now effectively free range when I am at home which is great because I am working from home for the forseeable but my issue is when I go back to work (probably in the new year depending on how covid plays out). Tbh he is a ‘people pig’ and seems happy on his own (he is actually eating more, wheeking for the first time ever and seems much happier than before) but I know deep down he would be happier with a buddy.

I’m not keen to get another boy, as William is very dominant and I don’t want single boys again, so I am thinking about getting him neutered so I can get a lady for him to be friends with. Just now seems the ideal time since I am home all the time to provide aftercare.

He turned 4 in june/july time so is he too old? Does anyone else have experience of neutering a boy this age and did it work out well?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

Angus passed away last week, so that leaves my William all on his lonesome. They lived separate due to fighting but used to interact through the bars. William is now effectively free range when I am at home which is great because I am working from home for the forseeable but my issue is when I go back to work (probably in the new year depending on how covid plays out). Tbh he is a ‘people pig’ and seems happy on his own (he is actually eating more, wheeking for the first time ever and seems much happier than before) but I know deep down he would be happier with a buddy.

I’m not keen to get another boy, as William is very dominant and I don’t want single boys again, so I am thinking about getting him neutered so I can get a lady for him to be friends with. Just now seems the ideal time since I am home all the time to provide aftercare.

He turned 4 in june/july time so is he too old? Does anyone else have experience of neutering a boy this age and did it work out well?
I think it sounds like a great idea and with an experienced vet it is usually a fairly straightforward operation.
Plus further down the track you always have more options (I think) if your boar is neutered.

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
At 4 years old I'd be happy to neuter as long as I know my piggy is healthy and I have a very experienced vet who knows what they are doing. 4 would probably be the cut off point for me. I do love watching boars with their little wifeys!

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hi, as @Piggies&buns says if your piggy is in good health then there is no reason not to consider neutering and find him a lady friend, this is a great option to consider.
Neutering a male is usually a very quick, safe operation in the hands of an experienced vet, most boys bounce back very fast and 3 days later are running around like nothing has happened! Occasionally there can be complications such as post op infection or abscess but this is rare, and this too is usually easily treated.
I'm sure if you could ask your piggy if he'd run the minimal risk for the chance of meeting a gorgeous new lady friend he'd sign with his paw stamp firmly on the dotted line in no time!

helloitsbecca

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks everyone I feel a bit less nervous now! I am just frightened to lose him as him and his brother were my first piggies. He is a relatively healthy boy (touch wood!) he has only been to the vet once in his life when he wasnt pooping but we reckon it was because of the extreme heat we had this summer. I am going to book in with my vet and see what they say. If I need to then I can travel elsewhere to a more piggy savvy vet once my partner comes back from offshore in 6 weeks 😊

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
That sounds like a good plan.
Don’t forget that William won’t be able to be with a sow until six weeks after his neutering (he will still be fertile for those first six weeks), so that will also give you some time to look into finding the perfect character compatible wife for him!

helloitsbecca

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That sounds like a good plan.
Don’t forget that William won’t be able to be with a sow until six weeks after his neutering (he will still be fertile for those first six weeks), so that will also give you some time to look into finding the perfect character compatible wife for him!
The dating will be super exciting! :) can’t wait for that, he will be absolutely buzzing to be around ladies haha 😂 he will no doubt end up absolutely ruled by his lady, i get the feeling he is one of those guys who is brave and ballsy around other guys but then totally under the thumb with his girl haha

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't risk it. You can get females sterilized via injection.
Please take this as a formal warning @TheguineaPiggyGal not to post in medical threads in this forum , particularly as you clearly have no competent veterinary experience to back it up. If any further posts of this nature come to my attention I shall not hesitate to apply a ban to your account

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
The dating will be super exciting! :) can’t wait for that, he will be absolutely buzzing to be around ladies haha 😂 he will no doubt end up absolutely ruled by his lady, i get the feeling he is one of those guys who is brave and ballsy around other guys but then totally under the thumb with his girl haha
Brilliant, there are never any guarantees but its great that he might have a whole new chapter in his life as a married man!
You might consider a pair of younger girls, as I think older lady pigs past safe pup bearing age (about 2) can be a little difficult to convince about the joys of an enthusiastic husboar, and a pair the same age would avoid you being in the lone bereaved single club again which you could face again in a couple of years with just 1 much younger girl. But in the end its all down to personality and you never know quite what partner or combination your piggy will click with- Mrs Right could be a venerable old bossy lady who has lost her own husboar, or a pair of giddy young ladies thrilled to meet an experienced older gent... so many possibilities for him! :)

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
My Ted lost his brother when they were just under 5. We made the decision to get him neutered after speaking to our very experienced piggie pig vet. As long as you have a good vet with proven experience of neutering GP’s and your little man is healthy then I would go ahead x
Here is Ted with his new wives, they have given him a new lease of life since being bonded, they are very happy and settled after one or two little nips from Ginger who took a little time to find her place
338DA508-E22D-4448-8C30-1C4922A80548.jpeg

helloitsbecca

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My Ted lost his brother when they were just under 5. We made the decision to get him neutered after speaking to our very experienced piggie pig vet. As long as you have a good vet with proven experience of neutering GP’s and your little man is healthy then I would go ahead x
Here is Ted with his new wives, they have given him a new lease of life since being bonded, they are very happy and settled after one or two little nips from Ginger who took a little time to find her place
View attachment 154243
Oh my gosh what a lucky boy! ❤

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I’m just going to echo what the others have said.
Micah was neutered very young and he did have a scrotal abscess after it.
However that was picked up before it had fully formed and quickly dealt with.
He was champing at the bit to get at the ladies within days.
It was the best decision

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
I have boys regularly neutered here and very rarely have problems. :)