• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Does anyone know what this could be?

valsie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have today noticed this crusty bump on Ziggy’s back. I feel really bad that I haven’t noticed it before, but having been nursing my poor little Treacle for the last six months, I have to admit I’ve not checked Ziggy over as often as I should. It is a hard, crusty,raised bump on his lower back, just above the grease gland. It doesn’t appear to be bothering him at all but it does look a bit gross. He seems to be coping quite well after the sad loss of Treacle, eating normally although perhaps a bit more subdued than normal.95B19EEA-518A-490F-A47E-AF13C629630F.jpeg

I’ve no idea I’m afraid. Hope you can get it checked out soon. Call for an appointment and also send a picture to the vet beforehand. And I’m sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
I have today noticed this crusty bump on Ziggy’s back. I feel really bad that I haven’t noticed it before, but having been nursing my poor little Treacle for the last six months, I have to admit I’ve not checked Ziggy over as often as I should. It is a hard, crusty,raised bump on his lower back, just above the grease gland. It doesn’t appear to be bothering him at all but it does look a bit gross. He seems to be coping quite well after the sad loss of Treacle, eating normally although perhaps a bit more subdued than normal.View attachment 164572
My old guinea pig who also sadly passed away. She had a lump on her back that kept growing.

I took her to the vet and they said she had an abscess which can be quite a bad for guinea pigs.

I have had two experiences with abscess one with my old guinea pig who was 8 years who sadly died from it. And one of my current ones who is two and survived it with a course of antibiotics xx

Don’t know weather I’m meant to give feedback on here but thought I could help. I may be wrong and it could just be an infection.
I would go and see a vet as soon as you can tho so your poor piggy can get some treatment.

Hope she/he gets better soon xx

Ziggy now has another lump come up on his rump 😢. This one is a different sort of lump, more of a swelling than a scab like the other one.

Took him to a different vet this time as I wanted a second opinion on the original lump anyway. I can’t find a good guinea savvy vet in my area so am having to try my luck with different vets. Anyway, this vet said she didn’t know what either lump was, just that the second lump wasn’t an abscess as she put a fine needle in it and no pus came out. She has suggested removing both lumps under GA and having them tested.

I am really worried about him having the surgery (he’s 5yrs). Atm he is quite well in himself, he has a really good appetite and is a good weight. The lumps do not appear to be painful or worrying him at all. I am so worried that after the surgery he might go downhill, he will be on antibiotics and might stop eating and will be worse than he is now. I will feel so guilty if that happened because it will be my fault for putting him through surgery.
I suppose what I’m asking is....is doing nothing ever an option? Just monitoring the lumps for any changes and looking out for any new lumps?
After losing Treacle so recently I suppose I’m paranoid about losing Ziggy too.

I’m sorry there’s another. I think be guided by the vet. Is there any way you could travel into Kent to see a vet there? I know it’s a fair distance.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Kent is not too far from me (I’m in Essex, just near the Dartford Bridge)....is there a guinea pig savvy vet there that you have experience with? There was a very good vet that we have seen in Brentwood, he was Spanish but sadly he has recently moved back to Spain to finish his degree.

My boys are registered with Putlands in Paddock Wood. Have a look on the vet locator as well. There is one newr Snodland and another in Maidstone.
Vet Locator

Back