• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Does Laying Out Flat Always Mean Heat Stroke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinkle

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ive just caught Ernie doing it in the middle of his cage. Last week when it was really hot he did show signs of being a bit bothered by it - he was lying on top of his fleece pigloo rather than in it and looked generally annoyed but it's cooled down a lot since then. This morning both the boys didn't eat as much of their mix food as normal but I put that down to it being a new brand as they ate their veggies no probs.

When I saw Ernie lying flat I got him out for a cuddle and check and can't see anything obvious wrong with him. Am watching them now and they're both happily scurrying about eating their hay. My sister (who's at home during the day) commented to me she hadn't seen him as much today and he's been hiding more.

You may remember I took them both to the vets a few weeks ago as they were scratching. Vet treated with a spot on treatment. The scratching has lessened a lot but not completely stopped.

If it's relevant I think my two boys (about 4 months old now) are still bickering for top pig territory.

Does lying flat always mean illness?

not always i don't think no. some piggies rest that way. but it could be because it's still humid. benjie can't tolerate the heat well either and has also been lying this way. so we've had to keep an extra close eye on him.

they sound a bit agitated with the heat perhaps and the scratching. might explain the bickering and resting more.

did the vet give a second spot on treatment? this is needed to kill any newly hatched eggs so if not, and they had mites, they may well be multiplying again.

Ah really? Thanks. He didn't think they actually had mites it was more of a "just in case". I may take them back to our family vet instead as although my experience with him is purely dogs he is how every vet should be, ie caring, gentle and interested.

Ive just caught Ernie doing it in the middle of his cage. Last week when it was really hot he did show signs of being a bit bothered by it - he was lying on top of his fleece pigloo rather than in it and looked generally annoyed but it's cooled down a lot since then. This morning both the boys didn't eat as much of their mix food as normal but I put that down to it being a new brand as they ate their veggies no probs.

When I saw Ernie lying flat I got him out for a cuddle and check and can't see anything obvious wrong with him. Am watching them now and they're both happily scurrying about eating their hay. My sister (who's at home during the day) commented to me she hadn't seen him as much today and he's been hiding more.

You may remember I took them both to the vets a few weeks ago as they were scratching. Vet treated with a spot on treatment. The scratching has lessened a lot but not completely stopped.

If it's relevant I think my two boys (about 4 months old now) are still bickering for top pig territory.

Does lying flat always mean illness?

Lying flat on the belly does not necessarily signify heat stroke; I have a number of piggies that like to "pancake" when they are tired.

Have your boys had just one round of spot-on or the recommended three to prevent a return? You always need to do the full course even if it is a just in case, otherwise it is worse than useless. Please try to see a more piggy savvy vet; we have got a recommended vet locator on the top bar.

Ah really? Thanks. He didn't think they actually had mites it was more of a "just in case". I may take them back to our family vet instead as although my experience with him is purely dogs he is how every vet should be, ie caring, gentle and interested.

if you've noticed increased scratching again then it could well be that they did have mites. they're not always easy to diagnose even when the vet checks for them under a microscope.

mites usually require two or three rounds of treatment :)

Not necessarily. Some pigs will just flop flat-out to rest. Does he behave normally once he gets up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back