• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Does Your Guineap Pig 'popcorn' When A New Set Of Hay Is Placed Inside The Cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter95

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've noticed that one or two girls starts to popcorn then influence to other girls in the cage to popcorn as soon as I put a new set of hay in the hay rack. Makes me wonder if all guinea pig do the same thing?

Teddy also did a few popcornings when I put some new hay on the hay bag! I always loved it :wub:

Two of my pigs do, then there is Lucky who whistles and chirps whenever I walk into the room and stands on his hind legs because whenever he does that he usually gets a treat... then when I put hay in all three of them run and hid in it. Silly pigs :) gotta admit, never thought I'd like them so much. But they really are adorable

This is Fudge! When I put some more in the pen at floor time, off she goes popcornin and running around - she ends up wearing most of the hay! Romily goes over to it & starts munching, half of it tucked under her belly for safekeeping ha.

Awwww, that is so sweet to see. Our ladies are all quite old now our youngest is three so we don't get as much popcorning as we used to. Sometimes we are treated to some when they first go in their run

Fresh hay trays are probably still the undoubted highlight of the day, and regularly result in a ridiculous amount of pop corning and general riotous behavior.

Mine always popcorn into the fresh hay that goes in their cage. Funny girls :wub:

Most of mine used too. Peters 7 and hasn't popcorn properly for years though a few times he has surprised us (and perhaps himself by trying). Daisy tends to popcorn at anything getting put in the cage, fresh hay, fresh veggies, fresh snugglesafes

Yes, fresh hay results in popcorns here.
Veggie and pellet time they tend to run, clumb, jump and spin about. It's all SO exciting

Whenever I set my piggies cage up diffrently they always run around and popcorn.

Only my two youngsters popcorn - the oldies don't - but the youngsters popcorn when I clean out the cage and put in new fleece - there doesnt have to be anything else in there - it can just be bare fleece and they go mad.

Noel and Liam do every time i open the hay bin,start with a lil bum wriggle when the clips are undone, a head shake and bum wriggle when the lid comes off,yelling as the door is open leading to a full on explosive popcorn when they hay is placed in with them followed by at least ten mins of running under the hay with more popcorning than a giant bucket of popcorn at a Odeon cinema :yahoo::beer::yahoo:

Whenever I set my piggies cage up diffrently they always run around and popcorn.

Yeah mine does sometimes if they're satisfied with the layout they will popcorn but if they aren't they just have sniff around.
Aw it is very satisfying to see your guinea pig popcorning knowing they're happy!

Yeah mine does sometimes if they're satisfied with the layout they will popcorn but if they aren't they just have sniff around.
Aw it is very satisfying to see your guinea pig popcorning knowing they're happy!
I normally sit and watch my piggies in there new set up as I find it so cute

I only have 2 piggies that do, probably influenced by Captain Jack (avatar) who from day one has always been potty about getting lots of lush hay. He's a proper man pig.

My two start popcorning when they hear the hay bag rustle and as soon as I put first handful in the tray Spike dives in and Peanut hides behind the tray pulling strands out.

Patchy will popcorn when new hay (food of any sort really) is being added except this new meadow hay they dont like. Coco just popcorn's (who needs to walk when you can popcorn) all over the cage just because she's Coco and she can.

Sometimes. It depends on how excitable they are that day. I do find that if I wind them up beforehand (i.e. In excited high-pitched voice, "Who wants the hay? Who is going to get the hay? Is it you girls?") I will get more popcorning (and more odd looks from the other humans in the family too.)

Sometimes. It depends on how excitable they are that day. I do find that if I wind them up beforehand (i.e. In excited high-pitched voice, "Who wants the hay? Who is going to get the hay? Is it you girls?") I will get more popcorning (and more odd looks from the other humans in the family too.)
Aww I would love if my Guinea pig do that but of course the only sound they response is the fridge door haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back