• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Doesn't Like The Hay :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammy.Hamms

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! I have recently switched from Oxbow hay to local grown Bermuda grass. The Bermuda grass was cheaper, and better for her. (They said it's Bermuda costal hay. I looked it up and it is the same as Bermuda grass.)
I've been trying to slowly transition her over to it, but she just eats the timothy hay out of it and leaves the Bermuda hay behind. I ran out of the Oxbow hay, and now she just has the local hay, but she won't eat it. (She is eating her veggies and pellets, so it's not a tooth problem. iv'e checked her teeth.)
I thought she would love it...
It has nice, long strands (apposed to the oxbow that is mostly just bits now), it smells nice and fresh, and it was only $10 for the bale!

Do you have any ideas why she is not eating it?

Thank you so so so much!!!

Unfortunately the hay we think they will love is usually the hay they won't like. If she likes the timothy hay do they sell other brands over there that are cheaper as timothy hay seems to be the lowest in calcium which is why we all recommend it on the forum and I have recently had my vet recommend it too for this reason. It's always been a constant struggle for me to get my two to eat hay (until the last two months) so I know how frustrating it is to get them to eat any so if they like ANY brand of hay that hay I will buy for them lol. I feed my piggies oxbow hay as well and I know it is really expensive but they love it, it's always the expensive hays they eat never the cheap hay :hb:

Has she got a friend lined up yet? That always spurs on some healthy competition between my piggies :))

buy a cheaper hay... you will see that they will eat it! :))
and if they really don't like hay, serve them fresh grass, it is good for teeth as well...
And of course, if a piggie has the belly full maybe he does not eat hay...

Has she got a friend lined up yet? That always spurs on some healthy competition between my piggies :))
I'm getting another piggie at the end of the summer! I'm so excited. (I'm not getting one right now, because we have a ton of vacations planned and stuff.)

Unfortunately the hay we think they will love is usually the hay they won't like. If she likes the timothy hay do they sell other brands over there that are cheaper as timothy hay seems to be the lowest in calcium which is why we all recommend it on the forum and I have recently had my vet recommend it too for this reason. It's always been a constant struggle for me to get my two to eat hay (until the last two months) so I know how frustrating it is to get them to eat any so if they like ANY brand of hay that hay I will buy for them lol. I feed my piggies oxbow hay as well and I know it is really expensive but they love it, it's always the expensive hays they eat never the cheap hay :hb:

buy a cheaper hay... you will see that they will eat it! :))
and if they really don't like hay, serve them fresh grass, it is good for teeth as well...
And of course, if a piggie has the belly full maybe he does not eat hay...
She'll usually eat any hay that it in front of her. I don't like the store bought stuff because, first of all it's expensive, and second of all, it has really short, flaky strands.

She'll usually eat any hay that it in front of her. I don't like the store bought stuff because, first of all it's expensive, and second of all, it has really short, flaky strands.
Yes, you are right. I have found a good cheap brand with a quite good hay, but I would prefer buying hay directly from a farmer, if it were possible...

She has finally been eating it! She has seemed a lot happier, and her coat is a lot softer! :drool:

Yay! it's such a relief when they finally start eating it properly isn't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back