dominance behavior?

kamjay

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I just adopted 2 perfectly healthy female guinea pigs yesterday! They are in perfect shape. They both weigh around 2 pounds, eat normal, drink lots of water, eat a lot of hay, and gobbled up the bell peppers I just introduced to them today pretty fast! My only concern is that one of them keep sniffing the other ones behind and chasing her, the one getting chased doesn't like it and she will start squeaking really loudly and stuff. Is this normal? They aren't fighting or anything, it's just that. I mean they were acting like a good bond when I first met them at the shelter so, I don't know what has happened. Please help.

-also can you guys help me differentiate a happy purr and an angry purr.

Thank you.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
That sounds normal. They will smell each other. And the squeaking is likely submissive squeaking. Basically telling the other she’s okay being the sub-pig.

Did you adopt them from a rescue? And how old are they?

With regards a purr, it depends on the circumstances. An angry one is usually shorter but so could a happy one.

Remember to let them settle in before you start the weekly weigh-in etc. We’d love to see photos once they’re more settled in.

kamjay

New Born Pup
Reaction score
That sounds normal. They will smell each other. And the squeaking is likely submissive squeaking. Basically telling the other she’s okay being the sub-pig.

Did you adopt them from a rescue? And how old are they?

With regards a purr, it depends on the circumstances. An angry one is usually shorter but so could a happy one.

Remember to let them settle in before you start the weekly weigh-in etc. We’d love to see photos once they’re more settled in.
Yes they came from a rescue and I am not sure of their age because the shelter didn't know either.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, I just adopted 2 perfectly healthy female guinea pigs yesterday! They are in perfect shape. They both weigh around 2 pounds, eat normal, drink lots of water, eat a lot of hay, and gobbled up the bell peppers I just introduced to them today pretty fast! My only concern is that one of them keep sniffing the other ones behind and chasing her, the one getting chased doesn't like it and she will start squeaking really loudly and stuff. Is this normal? They aren't fighting or anything, it's just that. I mean they were acting like a good bond when I first met them at the shelter so, I don't know what has happened. Please help.

-also can you guys help me differentiate a happy purr and an angry purr.

Thank you.
Hi and welcome!

Your guinea pigs are in the process of establishing a working hierarchical group in new territory. The behaviour is perfectly normal for this stage.

You may find our guide helpful; it contains a chapter on typical dominance behaviours: Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

This guide is part of our much more extensive New Owners guide collection, in which we are addressing all the areas that we get the most often asked questions and concerns about in as practical and precise details to understand what is going on, learn what is normal and what not and how to go about things, including care and life-long health monitoring. It is worth bookmarking and using as a helpful resource; you will find when you read or re-read guides at different levels of experience that you always find new things to take away from.
Here is the link: Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

You are of course always welcome to ask any questions you have but you may find that we will link in guides for further detailed background or precise illustrated/video how-to information. We are all doing this for free in our free time and cannot always explain it all in a single post; just shortly mention the most relevant points.