• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Dominance / Bullying

Peach&Cola

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’ve had our re-homed piggies for two weeks now, 2 females, allegedly sisters approximately 1 year old (details from former owner very sketchy!) They’ve gone from being in a very plain standard sized cage to a nice large hutch with integrated run with plenty of tubes/toys and hideys each. The problem I’m having is one keeps harassing the other with dominant behaviour, the first week must have ended in a fight as the larger dominant piggy had a nasty ear injury! (treated and healed now) Our smaller Piggy doesn’t seem to submit and they stand off with teeth chattering etc especially when I let them into their large play pen. I separated them with a little fence in their playpen - but they started gnawing at the bars and pushing their faces together as if they wanted to be with each other, yet when I put them back together - big pig spends ages chasing and trying to hump small pig! I’ve noticed some scratch / possibly nip marks on small pigs rump, I’m worried small pig is getting bullied - although I see her eat & drink etc. Will big pig settle down and stop this nonsense? I feel sorry for small pig - who is definitely the quieter of the two. Any advice appreciated! X

A change in environment can cause them to need to reestablish themselves. Sometimes they are absolutely fine after it, sometimes not. If they are both now wanting to be dominant and the submissive isn’t backing down, then that is going to be a problem and it may mean their bond is no longer functional.
The guide below gives further details on how to determine if a bond is working or whether it’s broken and they need to live apart
Bonds In Trouble

Back