• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

dont know what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
last year i helped home a new rex to my hubbys friends wife and 2 daughters they on my say so managed to find him a cage mate same age and they got along brilliantly, I carefully explained about not just having one , they are too sociable etc,
everything was fine all summer etc, they were then put in their garage for the winter, where the hubby has taken over care as he says out of sight out of mind, anyway yesterday I found out the little rex had died around christmas, hubby had not told any of the girls about this as he wanted to wait until they noticed he had died and gone,
well believe it or not they still have'nt noticed and dad is still caring for the little male on his own in a garage, when I found out I said stop trying to prove a point while this poor little man was all alone, I told him it will now be quite difficult to pair him up, he said you can have him when they find out about the rex dying, I said you are so wicked and made him feel uncomfortable but he is insisting on making a point that he was right they would'nt care about them, I do understand his anger with them but feel mad the poor little man is all alone, we are friends but am annoyed they ignore the feelings of this poor little boy

That is shocking! I find it hard to believe. I think the remaining guinea needs to be rehomed as quick as poss!

I don't think that people should use animals' unhappiness to prove a point of their own. Can you talk to the wife or the daughters, and say that you could let the remaining piggy come to you for a little holiday, until the family decide whether they want another piggy or not. This would get the piggy out of this place where he is unwanted and back with a caring guardian.
Caroline x

as soon as I see Mel the wife and mum of the two girls I will tell her to check out the "2" pigs, and then see what she has to say, dont think he wants them to know until they show any interest and find out themselves which to two little girls of 5 and 7 is'nt nice they must still think that both pigs are still there,
mind you Mel should have made them take more interest, all my kids never had animals unless they showed complete and utter interest, which has worked, my son Ryan had doves and adored them but we found homes for them all when he lost interest in them, but he says he still misses them now so do I to be honest,
she brought the girls 2 rats and as they are indoors they get looked after properly, they are a nice couple but a bit selfish when it comes to animals welfare, our other friend gave me their guinea pig cuddles when her cage mate died they did'nt want her to be alone and she has lived with me for almost 2 years happy and content, hopefully I can get them to give me the other little boy, hopefully will see them this weekend

How old are his girls? if you see them couldnt you say 'so lets see your guinea pigs then' i know that sounds creul but once they see the little rex has gone then you can make sure the other one is happy again just a suggestion hope evrything works out x

Speaking very bluntly - the kids can't be very nice if they care so little they don't even ask how their pets are getting on. I think this is terrible - you must rescue that guinea from such an insensitive and uncaring family.

Think after 3 months the point has been well and truly proven, and if they haven't noticed by now it could be next xmas by the time they do.

I can sort of understand the kids forgetting about the piggies, but the wife? It beggars belief. She should have known when the girls wanted the piggies, that she would be the main care giver.

I think you should get him back ASAP

Hope that you can get the poor piggie back

Its awful how they are treating the poor little mite

Love
Claire
x

Those people were stupid for getting pets for kids who clearly weren't interested. Kids that age have to be encouraged to care for the animals and thats how we learn. What chance do they have with parents who either don't notice or would rather have an animal be unhappy just to prove a point. I'll say one thing though, at least the dad is taking care of the remaining guinea it would be a lot worse if he forgot about it too.

This is really making me angry! I hope you're going to rescue him, Michelle! That family makes me sick!

the family are in fact quite a lovley family but mum is a bit ditsy the 2 girls are only 4 and 7 so taking them out to the garage and saying your pig is dead is not very nice anyway, think the family have taken the attitude out of sight out of mind, dad is very good and cares for the remaining one very well,but feels he needs to make a point so it does'nt happen again, mum has so far brought a new puppy last year to go with the young dog they already have 2 pigs and 2 rats, all the hubby did'nt want,to go with the 2 hugh parrots they have, so in a way I do feel sorry for him, but am going to make sure I get that pig either well looked after and given company, only knows how they will do that, they obvioulsy cannot just plonk another male in with it. we know that as experienced piggy owners so i think I will be needing to sit down and talk to mum, and point out a few plain facts like "HOW THE HELL DID YOU NOT KNOW THE REX HAD DIED, 3 MONTHS AGO, MAYBE ADDING ARE YOU THICK OR JUST PLAIN INSENSATIVE" ( shouting at her), do you think she would get it loud and clear that she is an insensative uncaring idiot? to be totally honest she is quite a nutcase, means well but as far as the welfare of the pets is not too bright,
maybe I should print off this posting and just give it to her lol
which ever way I promise i will be doing something about it, and soon,

have just printed off this posting to show hubby and see what he says think he will say he will mention it to the dad, maybe give me the pig and say both died during winter, >:(

You'll have to be a bit sensitive with this one Michelle. The last thing you want is for them to get upset with you and shut you out. Then you'll never be able to save him. It sounds like there's no point in talking to the mum. If she hasn't noticed the pig has died by now, she's not going to care. How come they can care about all the other animals but not the piggies? I don't understand that one.

hi Debbie the pigs were in a hugh double story hutch and were put in the garage (No car) for the winter, , mum had to go back to work after she got the pigs etc unexpectedly, so has'nt got the time, and the girls although are 4 and 7 dont tend to have much sense as far as animals are concerned, this family has a a hugh koi pond with no safety wire etc the girls sit on the edge of the deep pond my heart is in my mouth ? the thing is the family are friends and hubby works with him, and as you say if I come down too hard, I wont get the pig,
I did say I would find her some bottle springs a while ago so maybe if i have to go round there to fix them on ( she'll never work them out) I can say well wheres Emilys pig?
to be honest I think mum will be mortified that she did'nt notice she has a very kind heart but just a bit ditsy, so its going to be difficult I go to bed every night worrying about the poor little man, I know hes fed and warm but its not having the company that worrys me, all the other animals are indoors, I've got a feeling now he knows I know about it he might think he had better tell her himself :-X

I understand you feel awkward because you have known these people a long while, but there is no excuse whatsoever for neglecting/ ignoring pets. These people are not responsible owners, and should not keep getting pets they are not interested in.

dont worry lucinda will be doing something about it, had argument with hubby last night because i wanted to steam in and he said no you need to be a little more careful if you want the pig, or knowing her she will just go and buy another one, not want we want really, so I've got to be a little diplomatic here something I'm not use to lol anyway now hubby knows I am mad he will know I will come out with it

I agree with you in both ways id want to storm in but then again id worry that they'd shut me out, if it came down to it could you tell them you'd buy the piggie off of them? it might be a way of gettin them to give him to you just a suggestion hope everything works out

Really good idea to tell your husband. He will be able to act as 'moderator' and calm you down enough to be diplomatic, because what you want, first and foremost, is to rescue this little piggie. Could you try to be really sympathetic to the couple, saying you know they have a dreadfully busy life trying to care for all those animals and children as well, and would they let you help them by taking the guinea pig off their hands for a bit. They might be really relieved to get rid of the responsibility, especially Dad.
Very best of luck - keep us posted.
Caroline x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back