• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

don't think Gizmo likes me

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anne-Marie

i've had gizmo for 2 months now and he just doesnt seem to have bonded with me he is so scared all the time.If i go near his cage when he is out he'll run into his bed. He isnt bothered if i'm in the room only if i go near his cage. When he's out of his cage he just doesn't move sits there deadly still some times he'll squek very quietly but thats it am i just being paranoid or is this normal?
Thanks i really must figure out how to post some pics on here :)

Is he in the house with you? If so, take out his bed. i know this sounds harsh, but the sooner he gets used to you, without being able to run and hide, the sooner you will enjoy each others company! :)

yeah he's in my bedroom i spend most my time there so he knows i'm about most of the time i just wondered was i doing anything wrong?Reading all your threads yours all sound like they adore you i think Gizmo just wishes i'd bring his food an leave him alone :(

My piggy was the same. I removed his hidey hole in the day, putting it in when I went to bed, and he improved loads. He's now 5 months old and doesn't hide when I go near him and has stopped nipping me when I hold him. I think it's just time that will do it. Try removing his house in the day and see if it helps.

Gus Gus isn't this bad for me, only when I hold him. He seems to want to get down fast when I pick him up. He looks scared (little white around his eyes) and he squeks/whimpers (I call it "complaining"). Would taking away his house during the day also help with this?

Is it just me? I think its incredibly cruel to take away the house.

That means he will still be stressed, but without any means of hiding, feeling safe, and calming down.
I would never ever do that.
Food is the way to a piggies heart, and thats how I have done it with all mine.

Lettuce is especially good - the piggies learn that they can eat safely out of your hand, that your hand means treats, and they are more likely to go for it because it is long and they can therefor start eating while at a distance to you - with say a piece of cucumber they would have to walk up close to your hand to start with.

I did the same with my Malcolm and Leroy. They were permanently in their house when they were little. I decided to take it away and they have since changed completely! They are a lot more confident and come out to eat/play when people are around. As long as they still have a lot of hay/shredded paper to run into I don't think it's cruel.

Abnoba said:
Is it just me? I think its incredibly cruel to take away the house.

That means he will still be stressed, but without any means of hiding, feeling safe, and calming down.
I would never ever do that.
Food is the way to a piggies heart, and thats how I have done it with all mine.

Lettuce is especially good - the piggies learn that they can eat safely out of your hand, that your hand means treats, and they are more likely to go for it because it is long and they can therefor start eating while at a distance to you - with say a piece of cucumber they would have to walk up close to your hand to start with.

That's what I thought when someone suggested it to me, but Fudge was spending his whole time in it. Now he stands on top of it so he can see more and doesn't run away from me. I do agree with you that I did feel I was taking away his 'safe' place. I did try to feed him but he literally never came out of his house unless I dragged him out. Overall, it did work and I always made sure his house went back in for bedtime and now I don't need to do it. I don't think he's suffered in the long term by it, and he seems a lot happier now he's not scared of me.

Kathryn xx

Abnoba said:
.Lettuce is especially good

I keep hearing conflicting reports on lettuce, some people seem to feed it and other people have told me to avoid feeding it to them. What is the general thoughts of every one ? sorry to take it of topic...

I am not saying that lettuce in general is such a good thing,

I am saying that as a tool to make shy piggies come to your hand its especially good, because they love it and it gives them the chance to eat out of your hand without them having to come TOO close to you, because a leaf of lettuce has a nice length.

lettuce itself has next to no nutritional value, and I give it only as a treat from time to time.

I don't really give mine lettuce as I have rabbits and they aren't meant to have it (or too much of it) Not too sure about gps.

Mary

Abnoba said:
I am not saying that lettuce in general is such a good thing,

I am saying that as a tool to make shy piggies come to your hand its especially good, because they love it and it gives them the chance to eat out of your hand without them having to come TOO close to you, because a leaf of lettuce has a nice length.

lettuce itself has next to no nutritional value, and I give it only as a treat from time to time.

OK, was just a little un sure, some people say to avoid iceberg but others are OK ?

Sometimes its really difficult to no what to get, every time i go to the super market I spend more time looking round the veg section :D for new veggies but just scared I will poison them....

Ooops sorry to have hijacked the thread :-X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back