• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Double 2x4 C&c Cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MollysPigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Had the worst night ever. Chester and Spyro had a big fight last night in their cage at 2am, which has caused Chester a massive swipe to his nose and a huge bite on his bottom. Poor thing :( I've had to take him to the vet first thing this morning, and he's been prescribed medication. They are now living in two separate cages, thank goodness we kept our Ferplast cage. Anyway, I've decided they shouldn't live together and I need to house them separately, and keeping Spyro in the small cage on his own would be cruel. I am thinking of making them two separate 2x4 C&C cages, which will be stacked on top of one another because I haven't got loads of room. I will later think of getting them two female friends. Any advice?

So sorry to hear that your boys have been fighting.
I think your current plan is probably the best one to be honest.
Once they have had a serious falling out it is unlikely they will live together again, so neutering and then looking into a female companion for each of them 6 weeks post op is probably likely to give the best result in the long term.

I will tag @Wiebke for you though as she is definitely the best one to advise on such maters.

Hi! Once their is a serious deep bite to the face or rump, that is the end of the road for boars. Sorry that it has blown up so unexpectedly on you. :(

As to a 2x4 cage - as long as your two boys are single, you might consider seeing whether you can arrange the two cages as a 2x3 grid cage with a hay loft on the other floor, so the boys have still got interaction through the grids until they are 100% safe to bond with a sow 6 weeks after the neutering op. You can always rearrange into two one level split cages. Or, if you have the space, just have two 2x3 grid pens next to each other while the boys are single.

The other option is to have the second (cable wired) cage on a table that is standing inside the lower cage. I use cheap Ikea tables with a 75x150 cm top.
There is no interaction possible, but this arrangement has got two advantages - more light and easier accessibility in the lower cage, especially when cleaning out. I just lift the table with a shoulder gently slightly off the ground to change the bedding and to clean and have a strip of lighting running on the underside of the table in my latest incarnation. It is something you maight consider when you have two separate pairs.

To give you an impression, here are some pictures of set-ups of my own, several years apart and designed for a steadily growing number of guinea pigs.
IMG_4270_edited-1.jpg IMG_8093_edited-1.jpg IMG_2111_edited-1.jpg

Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Hi! Once their is a serious deep bite to the face or rump, that is the end of the road for boars. Sorry that it has blown up so unexpectedly on you. :(

As to a 2x4 cage - as long as your two boys are single, you might consider seeing whether you can arrange the two cages as a 2x3 grid cage with a hay loft on the other floor, so the boys have still got interaction through the grids until they are 100% safe to bond with a sow 6 weeks after the neutering op. You can always rearrange into two one level split cages. Or, if you have the space, just have two 2x3 grid pens next to each other while the boys are single.

The other option is to have the second (cable wired) cage on a table that is standing inside the lower cage. I use cheap Ikea tables with a 75x150 cm top.
There is no interaction possible, but this arrangement has got two advantages - more light and easier accessibility in the lower cage, especially when cleaning out. I just lift the table with a shoulder gently slightly off the ground to change the bedding and to clean and have a strip of lighting running on the underside of the table in my latest incarnation. It is something you maight consider when you have two separate pairs.

To give you an impression, here are some pictures of set-ups of my own, several years apart and designed for a steadily growing number of guinea pigs.
View attachment 57663 View attachment 57664 View attachment 57666

Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
OMG! That third pic is epic. How many piggies do you have Wiebke.

@Wiebke @Swissgreys thank you for replying so swiftly! I really like the idea of a hay loft where they can still interact with each other. Your cage setup is absolutely amazing! So many spoiled piggies! Thank you for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back