drinking HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

minkersmum

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My new little piggy is around 3 months, i hava put a bottle thing in for water, it is full and when he is at it i can see bubbles although the level hasnt dropped much. How do i know he is getting water. When i touch it lightly at the end it wets my finger so i know its working but when he is at it he grabs it with his teeth and pulls it and moves it around as is he is having a right go at it.

Is this normal or is he having problems getting the water out?

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
ha ha it sounds like my mums lad, he really 'works' his bottle, i am sure you can imagine what i mean!!

If there are bubbles he may be getting something out of it.

My two never ever drink water, i try not to worry about it, i just make sure they get plenty of 'wet' veg.

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Some pigs do look like they are attacking the water bottle... one of mine drinks with her head tilted practically upside down and I have NO idea why! She also will drag the spout back and forth, to the point that I had to buy a water bottle that screws into the cage bars to keep her from knocking the water bottle off the side of the cage every hour or so! Some pigs are not big drinkers- they will be getting moisture from veggies and fruit if you are giving them as treats as well. If you see bubbles, water is coming out... and if she's peeing normally, she's probably getting just what she needs!

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sometimes it takes babies a while to get used to the bottle and the best way to get the water out. As said, plently of wet veg will hydrate them well, so dont panic too much. He knows theres water there, just needs to work it out instead of biting it.

x.

Guinea pig slave

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Some pigs do look like they are attacking the water bottle... one of mine drinks with her head tilted practically upside down and I have NO idea why! She also will drag the spout back and forth, to the point that I had to buy a water bottle that screws into the cage bars to keep her from knocking the water bottle off the side of the cage every hour or so! Some pigs are not big drinkers- they will be getting moisture from veggies and fruit if you are giving them as treats as well. If you see bubbles, water is coming out... and if she's peeing normally, she's probably getting just what she needs!

Two of my boys never use the bottle, they have a dish bit hardly use it. The other boys use their bottle and my little sow twists her head around - we repositioned it (the bottle that is :)) but she still gets into a weird position :{
As others have said, juicy veggies provide a lot of their fluid intake and they all wee normally so don't worry.

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Two of my boys never use the bottle, they have a dish bit hardly use it. The other boys use their bottle and my little sow twists her head around - we repositioned it (the bottle that is :)) but she still gets into a weird position :{
As others have said, juicy veggies provide a lot of their fluid intake and they all wee normally so don't worry.

Glad it's not just Linney who is loopy that way! At first I thought the bottle might be too low for her, but no matter where we position it, she drinks the exact same way... she's just a wacky girl!

Reaction score
my new baby piggy does that but they are in my room so at night all i can here is her bashing the water bottle against the cage {:| :))

Status
Not open for further replies.