• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Drinking Water From A Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeakypigs01

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Feb 19, 2016
Messages
85
Reaction score
85
Points
220
Location
Farnham,UK
Hello,hope this is in the right section!
I have a bit of an emergency regarding water. I have literally just picked up my new piggie and we have been told to separate her from the other two for a few nights. The problem is that we only have one water bottle! We are thinking of using a bowl of water rather than a bottle for the older two and then the bottle for the baby. Will guinea pigs automatically drink from a bowl or do they need encouragement?
 
If it is not too high at the rim it should be fine. Make sure it is heavy enough not to tip over and change the water AT LEAST twice a day as soiled water is not unusual with piggies! You can also offer cucumber slices which are high in moisture - but don't overdo it.
 
Yes it should be fine. Just do as recommended by @AuntyC .

When I first had one of my baby piggies he did not know how to drink from a bottle and we had to teach him. Remember in normal circumstances a piggy would drink from anywhere but a bottle in the wild. We as humans have taught them to do this to make it easier for ourselves. Whenever I have new piggies I always include a bowl and a bottle just in case until I know for sure they can use a bottle. xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top