Driving from uk to Slovakia

Jono.187

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,I'm new here.
My daughter has two guineas that mean the world to her.
We are moving from UK to Slovakia in October and I am driving with my dogs. My question is (I'm struggling to find any info) can I take the two boys with me aswell? I asked my vet and he wasn't sure,I've tried calling defra and they weren't very helpful. Has anyone driven with the guineas in Europe and have you encountered any issues?

Thank you for any help.
Jono

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I don’t know if you’d be able to drive with them. You probably need to contact the countries you’ll be passing through and see. Also have a read of the guide below.
Travelling with guinea pigs

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing you really need to clarify is what rules Slovakia has in place for the permanent import of guinea pigs.
Chances are high they don't have any, but it's always best to check.
Make sure when you travel you have a recent letter from your vet stating that the guinea pigs are pets, have no commercial value and are healthy. For example when we moved to Switzerland we needed ot provide paperwork for our dogs and register them locally on arrival, but didn't need anything for our rabbits and guinea pigs.

Coming from the UK is usually fairly easy becasue the UK is considered one of the few 'clean' (rabies free) countries in Europe, and guinea pigs are not know carriers of any dangerous diseases.

LMPigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We recently drove with our guinea pigs from the UK to Strasbourg. We took the Eurostar to cross the channel and had checked in advance they have no specific requirements for travel with guineas.

After, that, for guinea pigs it depends on the countries you are travelling through. It seems the issue is generally managed by the ministry of agriculture or similar department so that is who you need to contact.

I can tell you that, for France, for the import of fewer than 5 "domestic rodents" from other EU countries they recommend a vet letter but it is not actually required (FYI post Brexit it will require a letter in a specific format but it still just says they have no communicable diseases and have had "all the vaccines relevant to their species" - which is none for guineas).

Other countries may have different requirements but since Guineas are not for human consumption (in Europe), cannot transmit rabies and tend not to be out in public mixing with other animals, requirements seem to be pretty limited.

Just as a heads up for you research you may come across information about the EU Pet Passport regime. Confusingly, this regulation refers sometimes to pets generally but it actually only covers cats, dogs and ferrets - its focused on rabies prevention - and doesn't apply to Guinea Pigs.