• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dry ears..:

emmaldrk

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have a lovely two months old boar who is a teddy breed. I know the breed are prone to dry ears. I regularly check them and also give them a gentle clean every fortnight.

I use a little olive oil when cleaning but generally have been using a tiny bit of aloe vera every other day to see if it helps. It worked wonders a couple of times but they’re super flaky again. 😣 The poor lad keeps flapping them.

Is it possible he could have something fungal?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It’s always possible so it would be best to have the vet check him over rather than assume it’s dry skin. It may well turn out to be dry skin, but at least you’ll know you’re not dealing with something that actually needs medical treatment!

PoppyFloss

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would take him to a vet. Best to be on the safe side! It could be a fungal infection or maybe even ringworm. Do you have any pictures?

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I would take him to see a vet if only for your peace of mind. I have a teddy with dry ears but he only needs moisturising on the outside of his ears once a week to keep it in check and a once a month cleaning on the inside ear flaps (not inner ear cannal).

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a lovely two months old boar who is a teddy breed. I know the breed are prone to dry ears. I regularly check them and also give them a gentle clean every fortnight.

I use a little olive oil when cleaning but generally have been using a tiny bit of aloe vera every other day to see if it helps. It worked wonders a couple of times but they’re super flaky again. 😣 The poor lad keeps flapping them.

Before you arrive at a disgnosis of dry skin, it is important that you see a vet first in order to check for a potential mild fungal skin infection. Some teddies are particularly prone to skin problems (it is a breed related problem) but you need to always exclude the fungal and parasitic angle first before you can come to that conclusion and always need to reassess with any new occurrance.

Teddies can also be more prone to the build up of wax in their ears. Again, please don't home treat and especially never pour anything into their ears on spec. Discuss the issue with your vet and ask for a suitable product if needed when they are checking the ears. A spray may be better suited.

emmaldrk

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you. Trip to the vets is needed then.

I only clean the outer and inner flaps/folds and never anything internally. I know how delicate their ears are. I was wondering if he does have a build up of some kind with all the flapping.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you. Trip to the vets is needed then.

I only clean the outer and inner flaps/folds and never anything internally. I know how delicate their ears are. I was wondering if he does have a build up of some kind with all the flapping.
That is also my suspicion. As you can see from my avatar, I have and haved had a few teddies over the years, a couple of them suffering from lack of a better description 'teddy skin'. However yours sound more likely like some mild fungal. You will have to wait until crusts/skin flakes come back for your to vet able to make a diagnosis. Clearing off skin issues at home is like wiping a crime scene and not leaving the vet anything to go by... Anyway, it doesn't sound like ringworm and should be easily cured with the right stuff. ;)

All the best!

Maryjames

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score

Hi there. Shea butter works really well for dry skin but before you do that make sure he doesn’t have mites or an infection. Best of luck