• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dry feet- Lunkaryas and Alpacas

SusieW

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!
Sorry to ask yet another question.

I've had guinea pigs for quite a lot of years now, but last year adopted two adult alpacas and at the start of this year adopted a Lunkarya but this is my first experience of these types of guinea pigs.

They are fantastic in every way and are lovely and friendly, and are so chilled out and I think they are brilliant but I've noticed they seem to have really dry feet.

They had their weekly weigh in today and I noticed the Lunkarya (almost 1 year old) has really dry feet again. It's not really the soles of his feet, more the top sides of his feet and they are quite flaky. They don't bother him in the slightest and I have Gorgeous Guineas foot cream (might have changed its name but think it's the same product) for them but I was just wondering if anyone has any experience in dry feet/skin in alpacas or Lunkaryas? I thought Teddy guinea pigs are known for dry skin although I've never had one so may be wrong on that. All my other guinea pigs have totally normal feet. They are all on fleece which gets swept daily and washed weekly (and they have puppy pads and hay in the hayloft) and the alpaca and Lunkarya are a bonded pair (were a trio until the other alpaca died last month:() and in a 4x5 c&c with a 1x4 hayloft. I don't think it's a husbandry issue as I have never had a feet issue before getting these guys, and they definitely don't look sore or in pain, just dry and flaky on top. I'm not too sure it's a health issue as they aren't ill, but was unsure where this fits.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 😊
Merlin the alpaca and Orinoco the Lunk say thank you for reading about their feet!

Attachments

• 20210301_093228.jpg
    20210301_093228.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 9
I'm not an expert but do have a little experience of dry feet having a Teddy.
Yes, you are right Teddies do tend to suffer with dry skin. I use the Gorgeous Guineas cream on Brillo's dry feet and ears it's very good.
I would get your piggies feet vet checked just to make sure it's not fungal if the skin is dry and flaky.

Thank you so much! I'm pretty sure it isn't fungal but can't hurt taking them for a check up. Brillo is the best name I've ever heard!
Thanks again 😊

Back