• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dry Skin On Cleveland's Foot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleve & Teddy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was holding one of my guinea pigs today and I noticed that he has what looks like really dry skin on one of his feet. All of his other feet are fine, it's just this one. My other guinea pigs feet are all fine as well. He seems healthy otherwise and he doesn't seem bothered when I touch it, but I have never seen it before. Any suggestions? I posted a picture of it.

Attachments

Guinea-pigGaga

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Do you have access to a cavy-savvy veterinarian?!

Fungal infections are relatively common in guinea pigs - Regrettably, guinea pigs can be quite prone to developing fungal infections!

Imaverol (Enilconazole) dips are largely recommended - Cleveland's companion/s will also need to be treated!

Guinea pigs typically require four consecutive treatments - Some individuals dip their guinea pigs every three-four days, while others dip their guinea pigs weekly!

However, the environment will also need to be suitably treated!

Elwickcavies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Once you've got a diagnosis confirmed by a vet, and if it is fungal (which it could well be), Imaverol/enilconazole is the treatment I would recommend - it's gentle, works in between treatments (you don't rinse it off) and has been very effective on all the fungal cases I have had.

Cleve & Teddy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I put on some bag balm I had that my dad used on animals when he lived on a farm and it cleared right up this morning. I also gave both of them baths. Since they are both acting their normal, hyper selves, should I be concerned still?

Status
Not open for further replies.