• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dry skin on pigs ears

spaiel

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Is this some sort of infection or just dry skin ?
I have 2 pigs and she is the only one with it , I treat it with some GG kwench lotion when it seems to flare up but this is the first time I’ve seen her with a little scab from itching it

just to add , I ve checked her for mites by pulling lightly at hair to see if there’s any skin attached but I’m worried it may be ringworm however as stated the other pig doesn’t have any symptoms

thanks in advance 713A59FB-8C16-49E3-BB28-069ED4CD7E55.jpeg1EF9DFCF-195D-4772-9157-042DB8752A19.jpeg

I’m afraid as you have put lotion on it, it covers any potential tell tale signs. It’s never a good idea to put anything on an area of concern until after you have seen a vet. Please have your piggy seen by a vet for diagnosis.

Is this some sort of infection or just dry skin ?
I have 2 pigs and she is the only one with it , I treat it with some GG kwench lotion when it seems to flare up but this is the first time I’ve seen her with a little scab from itching it

just to add , I ve checked her for mites by pulling lightly at hair to see if there’s any skin attached but I’m worried it may be ringworm however as stated the other pig doesn’t have any symptoms

thanks in advance View attachment 154444View attachment 154445

Please see a vet over a potential fungal skin infection; possibly ringworm. Unfortunately as you have treated on spec with a cream or lotion, a diagnosis is much more difficult - it's like wiping the scene of a murder and removing any clues.

If it is highly contagious ringworm, we will give you our very detailed hygiene tips so you can get on top of the long lived invisible spores properly.

All the best! If your guinea pig is newly bought, you can reclaim any vet cost from the pet shop you have got your guinea pigs from. You always need to treat all guinea pigs in contact with a piggy with a contagious issue.
More on your customer rights: New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites

Back