• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Dust Free Bedding for Sensitive Piggy

Wizzy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I went to the vets for a culture and sensitivity test yesterday but my vet refused as her lungs were clear and there was no discharge.
He told us to switch from woodshavings asap but didn’t recommend anything. My piggy pepper still seems to hoot/wheeze in the morning only, but is fine the rest of the day. She’s the same weight and running around still. She has 1 watery eye however.
Unfortunately fleece isn’t an option as i’m away every other weekend and my mum isn’t keen on poo picking!
Does anyone have any good options for a *very* dust free bedding that would help my piggy who’s sensitive to it. I did try fitch a few years ago but one of my pigs sat in the same place and got a uti from it so i’m not keen to try again. I also did find it had a bit of dust. Am interested in what everyone else uses?

Actually, I find fleece much better than shavings. You can just get a dustpan and sweep up the poop, whereas shavings you have to scoop it. But everyone has a different preference. I don’t know anything else, but I thought I’d tell you anyway :)

Has anyone got any experience with vet bed?

Ive used vet bed but don’t anymore. It still needs to be poop picked like fleece but the two downsides of vetbed vs fleece are that hay sticks to vetbed so much more, plus it is bulky in the washing machine so needs cutting into smaller pieces. I did like it though, it’s comfy, warm and stays nice and dry

We use the Back-2-Nature bedding which is dust free and makes spot cleaning quite straight forward because you can remove wet pellets super easily. I think you can get it on Amazon in 30L bag. I’m 100% sure how well it would workout financially to do the whole cage/hutch though as we only use it for the food/litter area.

Back