• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ear infection treatments

Guptheguineapig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a little guinea piggy tippy (who I have posted about on here before). I called to her vet with a picture of some recent ear issues that appear to be chronic. He gave me panalog ointment and it seemed to be effective in cleaning her out last time.
Due to the virus pandemic, my usual vet suddenly became unavailable today due to illness. I am now waiting on the emergency vet with a piggy savvy vet tomorrow. When I see them (if I can see them) I want to be very direct about what is needed.
So here is my question: what is more effective for ear infections: Panalog drops/ointment or other oral medication?
I have attached pictures to see what I found last night.

Attachments

• ADCCC99B-C185-49D8-9EAC-CD177472A83F.jpeg
    ADCCC99B-C185-49D8-9EAC-CD177472A83F.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 9A1FC5B0-1FBB-44E8-A6DC-F53009BA8C4D.jpeg
    9A1FC5B0-1FBB-44E8-A6DC-F53009BA8C4D.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 8
If it is an outer ear issue, then topical treatment (drops) are generally better; with inner or middle ear problems you best treat orally.

All the best!

Our vet always goes for oral treatments. We did have a guinea pig spend some time at TEAS, as a temporary resident, who had been treated with drops, by their local vet, with no success. On examination, the inside of the ear was a soggy mess, due to the ear drops that had been applied, which were actually causing more harm than good. The guinea pig was immediately prescribed the antibiotic Zithromax and made a very quick recovery.

Still not sure if the ear infection is inner middle or outer ear... based on the pictures does it appear to be one or the other?
after 7 days of three weeks of antibiotics she still has some ear discharge... not sure what to do now. Should I do the antibiotic drops and oral meds?

Back