• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

ear mites

Status
Not open for further replies.

starla

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I read on guinealynx a way to treat them is with Ivermectin one drop in each ear. I would be worried it would be too strong for the ear canal but perhaps I'm wrong! does anyone know?

Why are you thinking your pig has ear mites? When Poppet was showing symptoms of ear mites I nearly treated her myself with Otodex but then decided I would rather get Simon to have a look. It wasn't ear mites at all but she had a nasty wart-like growth in her ear that was soon removed. I am so glad I got it checked out properly before just opting for DIY stuff.

I use Otodex for my rex who has bad ear wax and it also states that it can treat ear mites.

thanks for the answers. Yes I wondered if ivermectin would be too strong.
Well he has a lot of wax, plus doesn't like his ears rubbed, and shakes his head afterwards. I know it's not the same, but the dog has had ear mites and behaved in a similar way.​

It is a sound thought, everything you describe sounds spot on for ear mites. It can indicate other ear problems e.g. infection, but the ear wax invites mites!

Sometimes vets miss ear mites...because althought they "stick the thing in" they cant necassarily see a decent sample because of the gunk/wax build up.

My gunieas had ear mites..missed by the first vet. Second (highly qualified exotics vet) gave them doramectin injections (as opposed to ivermectin).......once every 10 days and 3 times in total. On top of that I was given fortnightly ear drops ( virbac epiotic) to remove some of the gunk. If the gunk didn;t go..the ivermectin/doramectin couldn;t get to where it was most needed

It worked for all of them bar 1...Beechie had so much gunk that when he had to go in for an op for something else the vet very kindly cleared out his ears for me while he was under GA...he is now a changed piggie.

HTH
x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back