• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Earwax?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellyinexile

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My piggy has been on meds for an ear infection, tonight I noticed something white inside his ear, not sure if it's wax or something else? Anyone know anything?
Thanks

I looked solid, like wax I guess. I've just never seen anything in their ears before. He's really sensitive about the ear so it's impossible to clean it.

I have a boy with an ear infection at the moment and hes actually had another check up at the vets tonight. He started to produce some white discharge from his ear yesterday (been on antibiotics for 10days). Our vet says its a sign that the infection is being attacked by the antibiotics, although she has also taken a swab and is sending it to the lab to rule out if it is anything else.

It's white. I'll probably take him to the vet to be on the safe side but hopefully it's discharge as well. He has also been on antibiotics for 10 days but he's starting to really fight taking it, he's not a fan of Baytril at all.

Haha mine hates baytril but i think hes given up fighting it now as he knows i will win! My boys on it for another week then hopefully he will be better its very worrying really hes not walking very well and hes off his food so being hand fed. Hopefully the discharge your piggy has is the ear infection clearing up too

Ok, yes definitely best to see what the vet thinks.

The reason I asked is I have seen black gunk removed from pigs ears.

Haha mine hates baytril but i think hes given up fighting it now as he knows i will win! My boys on it for another week then hopefully he will be better its very worrying really hes not walking very well and hes off his food so being hand fed. Hopefully the discharge your piggy has is the ear infection clearing up too

Aww poor piggy! Hope he feels better soon. Hand feeding isn't fun, do you have to feed him the green powered stuff? (Not sure what it's called) Luckily I think I caught the ear infection before it really got started and had yogi whipped to the vets that day. My vet is sick of seeing him lol, but Yogi has been eating the same which is good.

Ok, yes definitely best to see what the vet thinks.

The reason I asked is I have seen black gunk removed from pigs ears.

Yeah the vets managed to clean his ears the first time we went about the ear probs and it was black stuff that came out. So that's why I was confused about this lighter colour stuff

It is likely discharge from the infection. The fact that he is fighting the awful tasting baytril is not a bad sign; it means that he is feeling better in himself. You can try to mask the taste with an equal measure of ribena.

He has had some of the powdered mix but only because my friend is a vet nurse and she got me some! Hes quite happy eating warm mashed up pelletts though now, in fact i think hes getting abit too used to it (he is a baby!)

Haha mine are babies too lol spoiled ones! I hope he gets better soon.

The white stuff seems to be gone from yogi's ears now but will still have a vet check up just in case.

I must try the ribena trick, I feel evil having to force him to take it but it a necessary evil.

Thanks for all the advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back