• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eating Plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malice

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I just let the guinea pigs run around the office for a little while, while I was doing some uni work. I then noticed they were over by my knitting bag (they never usually go that far), so I quickly shooed them away because I didn't want them to ingest any yarn.

Anyway, Poglet was making some loud crunching noises and clearly had something in her mouth. I tried to catch her to see what it was, but couldn't get it out. I realised I have a beaded bag over by my knitting stuff (I had completely forgotten that it was there, otherwise I would definitely have moved it) and it occurred to me that maybe she had eaten one of the plastic beads. I did give the bag a once over and I can't see any missing beads, but I do wonder what she might have been eating (for the record there was no yarn in easy reach; they'd have had to have climbed into the bag to get any, so I know it's not that).

In all my years I've had plenty of guinea pigs eat plenty of indigestible things, but I'm just slightly concerned that crunched up bead could be quite sharp inside her belly? Is there anything I should do, or is it just a case of keep an eye on her (like I said, I don't even actually know if she did eat a bead) for the next few days?

Thanks,

Jx

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I would keep an eye on her behaviour, eating and poo output and if there is any change to normal she will need to be checked by a vet. Also look out for any bloating. Hopefully it will pass through without any problems though.

Status
Not open for further replies.