• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Edgar has cystitis. What can we do to support his recovery?

moodysuzy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Poor Edgar 😭

We woke up this morning to find very bloody bedding in our pigs’ litter tray.

We got Edgar onto a puppy pad to check him first, he peed and...wow it was terrifying. Picture attached. He’s had no behaviour changes, and is eating and drinking fine.

We managed to find a vet open today and hightailed it there. We had to wait in the waiting room while Edgar was seen, and the only update we had was this horrible loud wail from him about halfway through the consultation.

The vet thinks he has cystitis, we were worried about stones but the vet had a good old feel of his bladder and says he can’t feel anything stone like 🤞🏻🤞🏻We took the puppy pad along and a urine sample (although I think it was a bit too old by the time we got to the appointment).

The vet gave him an injection of an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory which is what the wail was 😭 he is a massive fusspot but I’ve never heard him make a noise like that.

We’ve been given a 10 day course of baytril, 0.5ml, twice a day.

Our other pig Prawn (the submissive) clearly knew something was wrong last night, he was being much more humpy and dominant than normal 🙄 poor Edgar, peeing blood AND has his naughty brother humping him.

Is there anything we can do to support Edgar’s recovery alongside the antibiotics? The vet recommended lots of watery veg and we will be weighing him daily.

Attachments

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’m sorry to hear that.

We’re given any metacam (pain killer) to give him at home while he recovers?

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Oh, poor boy 😔

I am inclined to agree some metacam would help . Metacam has pain killing and anti inflammatory properties. Would you be happy to contact the vet to see if they would be willing to prescribe some ?

moodysuzy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Oh, poor boy 😔

I am inclined to agree some metacam would help . Metacam has pain killing and anti inflammatory properties. Would you be happy to contact the vet to see if they would be willing to prescribe some ?
Thanks for the advice! It’s been nearly a week now though and we’re happy that he’s happy, acting and eating normally, his usual rambunctious self!