• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Elderly guinea pig

pinnygiggles

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Our older piggy (rescue so not entirely sure but likely 4 or 5) is very lethargic and visibly pulsing - looks like heavy breathing? It's been warmer today but she's been doing this a couple of days. She has cataracts and arthritis, and has several lumps on her belly that the vet has said are probably just cysts but to keep an eye. The question is does she need seeing urgently? Vet is closed till Tuesday. She's eating and drinking normally. Thanks in advance. Video attached.

Our older piggy (rescue so not entirely sure but likely 4 or 5) is very lethargic and visibly pulsing - looks like heavy breathing? It's been warmer today but she's been doing this a couple of days. She has cataracts and arthritis, and has several lumps on her belly that the vet has said are probably just cysts but to keep an eye. The question is does she need seeing urgently? Vet is closed till Tuesday. She's eating and drinking normally. Thanks in advance. Video attached.

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry for the bad timing. These things never happen at a convenient time. :(

Yes, your old lady needs to see a vet urgently for either pneumonia, heart failure or a fluid-build up in the body caused by a major internal growth pushing on other organs, including the heart.

Please google for 24 hour services in your area. It is unfortunately going to be very expensive ourside of regular opening hours.

Here is our list of emergency scenarios that cannot wait at any time of the day or night: List Of Life And Death Out-of-hours Emergencies
Here is our guide on how urgently you need to seek vet care for the most common problems: How Soon Should My Guinea Pig See A Vet? - A Quick Guide

The need to breathe comes before the need to drink and only thrirdly the need to eat.A guinea pig in respiratory distress is always a guinea pig that is no longer eating and drinking and that needs round the clock feeding and watering support.
Emergency and Crisis Care as well as Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

Just to update - we took her straight to the vet and she has suspected pneumonia but is generally falling apart due to old age and has some new lumps around her mammary glands. She's on antibiotics and an anti inflammatory, but the vet suggested issues are likely quite advanced and at this point it's more a question of making her comfortable. Poor little thing. 😔

Just to update - we took her straight to the vet and she has suspected pneumonia but is generally falling apart due to old age and has some new lumps around her mammary glands. She's on antibiotics and an anti inflammatory, but the vet suggested issues are likely quite advanced and at this point it's more a question of making her comfortable. Poor little thing. 😔

BIG HUGS

I am ever so sorry for the bad news. But I am keeping my fingers crossed that your girl is still strong enough to fight off the pneumonia and have a little more reprieve.

Please take the time to read this guide link below. It won't make for easy reading but it takes you step by step through looking after a guinea pig on terminal care and the natural dying process; how you can spot when the body is closing down, what you can do during terminal care and the dying process and when to pts (euthanise).
The guide specifically addresses all the practical aspects that usually get glossed over or that are dealt with in a too general way but that can really upset you and throw you during that time. A natural death is usually much more physical than you would expect; it rarely is a gentle fading away, sadly. My guide aims to help you understand better what is happening and to be therefore more in control and not to feel as helpless, whether that is during terminal care or a natural death.
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

Please also be aware that your own grieving process has already started as well; this happens with the shock of the realisation that any time left is limited and not with the death itself. The bad news is ususally the second worst time in the whole process bar the loss itself. There is a lot you can do for yourself as well in order to make the grieving process easier on yourself by avoiding one or two nasty emotional traps you could get hung up in, as well as how to make the most of any time left. We cannot ease your pain but we can help you feeling less lost and overwhelmed.
Human Bereavement: Grieving, Processing and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children (also contains a chapter on terminal care)

You may want to bookmark these links so you have got them available to read and re-read at need. My thoughts are with you at this difficult and anxious time.

All the best. We are here to support you whenever you wish.

BIG HUGS

I am ever so sorry for the bad news. I am keeping my fingers crossed that your girl is still strong enough to fight off the pneumonia and have a little more reprieve, though. All the best!

Please take the time to read this guide link below. It won't make for easy reading but it takes you step by step through looking after a guinea pig on terminal care and the natural dying process; how you can spot when the body is closing down, what you can do during the dying process and when to pts (euthanise).
The guide specifically addresses all the practical aspects that usually get glossed over or that are dealt with in a too general way but that can really upset you and throw you during that time. A natural death is usually much more physical than you would expect; it rarely is a gentle fading away, sadly. My guide aims to help you understand better what is happening and to be therefore more in control and not to feel as helpless.
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

Please also be aware that your own grieving process has already started as well; this happens with the shock of the realisation that any time left is limited and not with the death itself. The bad news is ususally the second worst time in the whole process bar the loss itself. There is a lot you can do for yourself as well in order to make the grieving process easier on you by avoiding one or two nasty emotional traps you could get hung up in. We cannot ease your pain but we can help you feeling less lost and overwhelmed.
Human Bereavement: Grieving, Processing and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children (also contains a chapter on terminal care)

You may want to bookmark these links so you have got them available to read and re-read at need. My thoughts are with you at this difficult and anxious time.
Thank you so much for this.

I’m so sorry you have had this sad news. I had a piggy recently diagnosed with a suspected tumour. He was heavy breathing too. With pain killers he perked up and I had a few more weeks with him. He had lots of extra cuddles during this time. I hope your piggy has lots more happy days with you. Take care. ❤️

So sorry for your news.
Looking after a terminal piggy is very draining so look after yourself.
Make lots of good memories and give her as many happy todays as possible.
Holding you in my heart ♥️

Thank you everyone for the support. Today she had what looked a bit like a seizure or kind of convulsions like a dog or cat trying to be sick (I know guinea pigs can't). She's ok now and sleeping on my lap, but it was scary to watch. Any ideas? Vet can't see her till Saturday and says see how the antibiotics go...

Thank you everyone for the support. Today she had what looked a bit like a seizure or kind of convulsions like a dog or cat trying to be sick (I know guinea pigs can't). She's ok now and sleeping on my lap, but it was scary to watch. Any ideas? Vet can't see her till Saturday and says see how the antibiotics go...

Hi

No, we cannot say what is going on and any idle guessing is only going to make your anxiety worse because you will automatically zoom into the worst possible thing mentioned. It however not something you want to see in a piggy. Check whether she can still swallow when she wakes up. :(

Hi

No, we cannot say what is going on and any idle guessing is only going to make your anxiety worse because you will automatically zoom into the worst possible thing mentioned. It however not something you want to see in a piggy. Check whether she can still swallow when she wakes up. :(
Thank you! You're right. Will check swallowing when she's up.

Back