• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eliza has a lump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire W

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
I have just got the girls out to clean their hutch and I have noticed that Eliza has a pea sized lump under her belly near her right nipple :( It feels round and hard. It didn't seem to hurt her and she is acting normally.

Eliza has had a smiler lump near her back leg for the last year which the vet has said is harmless. Could this be the same thing, should I just keep an eye on her for now or does she need to see the vet? She is coming up to 3 years old.

:(

Some guinea pigs are prone to getting harmless fatty lumps but they can also get cysts etc. Maybe you should take her just in case.

Worth having it checked Claire. No rush for an appointment IMO, as you can monitor it and see whether it grows, but I would see if the vet can determine what it is.

Thank you. They will be due for a nail trim soon so I shall keep an eye on it and then mention it then. Of course, if it grows any bigger or causes her discomfort, I shall take her sooner. The one on her leg is apparently a fatty lump so I am hoping this is the same thing.

Hope all goes well at the vets! Eliza will probably wonder what all the extra fuss is about! rolleyes

Most lumps are usually benign/cysts.......however mammary lumps need to be tackled right away as this could be one of the rare cases of malignant cancer (adenocarcinoma) for piggies.

Its most probably harmless..but good job you are checking in with your vet this week.

Hope it is nothing to be worried about ...For info: my piggie has just had the all clear after a GA/op to remove his mammary lump

xxxxx

I would take her to the vet, not as a matter of urgency, but it's much better to be safe than sorry. It's probably a cyst or fatty lump - older pigs are prone to them - but it will put your mind at rest to rule out mammary lumps, especially as it's so near her nipple.

Our Ginger has had a mamary lump removed last week. We're going back to the vets for a check up this afternoon but she seems to have recovered quite well :))

Good luck at the vets

x

Charlotte just had one removed on Thursday. The lump is being sent off for testing so we know if it was malignant. It was very small and she is doing fine. Hope Elizas is just a cyst :)

Hope that Eliza is ok, Joey also has two small pea size hard lumps near his nipple and the vets said that they are harmless and just to make sure it dont grow, which it hasn't. I'm sure that Eliza will be fine and its just a fatty lump.

:)

Our first 2 piggies were prone to lumps, Nouget had 3 and Ophelia also had 3. Ophelia had 2 in the neck/ throat area and under one of her nipples. Nougets were found at various sites over her body. Fortunatly all were fatty lumps. After the initial visit to the vets we we told to monitor them and go back if they increased in size. Eventually all the lumps were removed under g.a. Fingers crossed it all goes well at the vets.

Fingers crossed hun all will be ok.
Send Eliza lots of cuddles and kisses x

Update

Well, we have just got back. The vet had a good feel of the lump which didn't hurt Eliza in the slightest and is more or less convinced that it is a fatty lump or a harmless cyst. She said that the only way to find out for sure would be to remove it but they would only advise having this done as a last resort because of the aesthetic.

The only concern that she has is that the lump is right near Eliza's right nipple so she suggested to monitor it over the next few weeks. If it changes, grows or causes Eliza any discomfort at all, I need to take her back and she will consider removing it. If it doesn't grow, I am to leave it alone and just keep an eye on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back