• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Emergency advice for ill guinea pig needed

roberzie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
HAVE A FAIRLY YOUNG FEMALE GUINEA PIG NAMED FATTY WE BOUGHT AS A CUSTOMER RETURN 6 MONTHS AGO. FATTY IS A GREAT COMPANION FOR MY SON ALWAYS STANDING IN HER CAGE WITH HER NOSE OUT OF THE BARS FOR FOOD. THIS MORNING EVERYTHING SEEMED FINE. THAN LATTER IN THE DAY FATTY WAS STARING IN THE CORNER OF THE CAGE. BY 3PM FATTY WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CAGE LAYING FLAT ON THE BELLY. HER BODY DID NOT LOOK FIRM AND APPEARED LIKE A MELTED ICE CREAM CONE. WHEN I MOVED HER INTO A BOX WITH A TOWELL BEDING, SHE ARCHED HER HEAD WAY BACK AND WAS PEDDELING HER FRONT LEGS FOR 15 SECONDS. I RUSHED FATTY TO THE ONLY VET WE COULD FIND OPEN ON SUNDAY AND THEY INFORMED US BEFORE COMING THEY DID NOT HAVE AN EXOTICS VETINARY ON HAND. THE TOLD US THEY DIDNT THINK SHE HAD ANY MUSCLE TONE AND HAD A VERY WEAK PULSE AND SAID SHE IS DYING AND SUGGESTED PUTTING HER TO SLEEP. HAD THIS BEEN A FAMILY VETINARY I WAS FAMILUR WITH I MAY HAVE. INSTEAD WE BROUGHT FATTY HOME AND PURCHASED A SARINGE AND ELECTROLYTES. MY WIFE HAS BEEN SLOWLY PUTTING A FEW ML IN HER MOUTH EVERY SO OFTEN. SHE IS NOT MOVING AND IS NOT SURE IF SHE SWALLING OR IF ITS GOING DOWN HER THROAT AND I HOPE NOT IN HER LUNGS. WE DID FIND POO POO IN HER BEDDING TONIGHT FROM THE CRATE WE BROUGHT HER TO THE DOCTOR IN, PLEASE HELP THANK U ROBERT

In sorry you really need to get her to a vet. We can’t do anything to help you and there’s nothing you can do to help her either.
Have a read of the link I’ve put below. Does she have a companion? if so you can soak fresh poos in water and syringe feed her once cooled (poop soup). If not You can try feeding her mushed up pellets - soak them in hot water, mush and let cool then syringe feed. But she really needs to see a vet. If she’s not swallowing then it’s not good news I’m afraid.
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Whereabouts are you and what time does the vet open? Please add your location to tour profile.

:agr: She sounds quite poorly and really needs a vet.

She needs to be syringe fed a fibre rich food such as critical care or mushed up pellets to keep her system working properly. They must have hay (or in a vey poorly piggy who isn’t eating hay for themselves, the critical care/mushed pellets) constantly going through their bodies. I am not sure that electrolytes are going to do anything

HAVE A FAIRLY YOUNG FEMALE GUINEA PIG NAMED FATTY WE BOUGHT AS A CUSTOMER RETURN 6 MONTHS AGO. FATTY IS A GREAT COMPANION FOR MY SON ALWAYS STANDING IN HER CAGE WITH HER NOSE OUT OF THE BARS FOR FOOD. THIS MORNING EVERYTHING SEEMED FINE. THAN LATTER IN THE DAY FATTY WAS STARING IN THE CORNER OF THE CAGE. BY 3PM FATTY WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CAGE LAYING FLAT ON THE BELLY. HER BODY DID NOT LOOK FIRM AND APPEARED LIKE A MELTED ICE CREAM CONE. WHEN I MOVED HER INTO A BOX WITH A TOWELL BEDING, SHE ARCHED HER HEAD WAY BACK AND WAS PEDDELING HER FRONT LEGS FOR 15 SECONDS. I RUSHED FATTY TO THE ONLY VET WE COULD FIND OPEN ON SUNDAY AND THEY INFORMED US BEFORE COMING THEY DID NOT HAVE AN EXOTICS VETINARY ON HAND. THE TOLD US THEY DIDNT THINK SHE HAD ANY MUSCLE TONE AND HAD A VERY WEAK PULSE AND SAID SHE IS DYING AND SUGGESTED PUTTING HER TO SLEEP. HAD THIS BEEN A FAMILY VETINARY I WAS FAMILUR WITH I MAY HAVE. INSTEAD WE BROUGHT FATTY HOME AND PURCHASED A SARINGE AND ELECTROLYTES. MY WIFE HAS BEEN SLOWLY PUTTING A FEW ML IN HER MOUTH EVERY SO OFTEN. SHE IS NOT MOVING AND IS NOT SURE IF SHE SWALLING OR IF ITS GOING DOWN HER THROAT AND I HOPE NOT IN HER LUNGS. WE DID FIND POO POO IN HER BEDDING TONIGHT FROM THE CRATE WE BROUGHT HER TO THE DOCTOR IN, PLEASE HELP THANK U ROBERT

Hi!

Please take the time to read the information in these guides here; you will find them very helpful as they are detailed and practical and take you through the whole issue step by step. Do not push food into an unresponsive piggy that is no longer able to swallow.
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

Unfortunately I rather agree with the vet's assessment. Please make sure that she is comfortable and warm but not hot. She sounds like may have suffered most likely a stroke or a heart attack/sudden acute heart failure. They can happen at any time of life out of the blue.

PS: We do our best to answer any thread in this specially monitored section as promptly as we can in view of being a UK based forum that is entirely volunteer run in our free time. Please do not shout by using capitals and making the reading of your text more difficult. You can find our emergency advice in the green field at the top of this section if you are posting at a time none of us is around.

Thanks for your responses. Hours after getting home from the vetinary our guinea pig passed away. I am greatfull for the experience and time we had with her.

Back