• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Emergency Indoor Accommodation For About A Month... Looking For Ideas Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tewdric

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, any ideas gratefully received.

I have two boys (Telford and Brunel) who live outside in a 6ft by 2ft insulated hutch. They have to live outdoors due to my OH's sever allergies.

Telford ended up having a ringwormy foot back in September. This was treated with surolan and Imaroval dips. They'd been outdoors all summer and after an initial drip-dry indoors it was warm enough to put them back out into their hay stuffed hutch to finish drying off after their dips. Their hutch was disinfected with F10 and I followed they hygiene advice from the forum. The ringworm cleared pretty quickly and Brunel didn't catch it.

Over the weekend I've got a strong suspicion that Telford now has a small patch of fungal on his face above one eye. I've ordered fresh imaroval and will contact the vet on Monday. HOwever, if it is fungal (I strongly suspect it is worst luck) and I need to dip the boys again they're going to have to move indoors for the duration of the treatment. I can't put them back in their hutch to dry in this weather no matter how thick their bed is or how insulated the hutch itself is. It's about 6C outside now..... much too chilly for wet boys.

I also know if they're inside 24hours to dry transferring them back outdoors isn't going to be good for them. OH loves the boys - so if we need to dip them they're going to have to take up residence in the spare room and hope that a shut door and contained hay will keep OH healthy for a few weeks.

So finally my question.......

Temporary housing for my lads. I do have a fereplast cage for real emergencies - but with two lively males for potentially a month it really isn't big enough.

There is space for their 5ft by 5ft outdoor run to go into the spare room on top of something waterproof - but it is wooden and I'd like to disinfect that in case the fungal has come from the run via a neighbors cat.

I there anything I can build a decent sized run out of easily (and fairly cheaply)? They'll be moving back out to their hutch once they've finished treatment (if they need it) and the nights warm up if they've become acclimatised to living indoors.

Telford's eye yesterday morning.

DSCF0663.JPG

Maybe C&C grids, we have made a huge fold-able run out of this... You could place it on fleece and then was the fleece on high temp and spray grids. Underneath fleeced use a waterproof tarpaulin or picnic sheet

http://www.wayfair.co.uk/Safco-Wire-5-Shelf-Shelving-Unit-5279BL-SAF1061.html for 20 grids will make a huge run/temp area. Maybe a little costly at £27 but a worthy investment, can always sell on after... People are always after grids

Hope you can get on top of the fungal quickly and lots of healing vibes sent x

Would something like this be too expensive?
it is held together by pins so rather than having it in a circle you could open it up and corner off one side of the room. Then for the floor use puppy pads, or a cheap shower curtain with towel and fleece over the top, or an plastic backed incontinence sheet.

Hope you get it all sorted quickly x

Would something like this be too expensive?
it is held together by pins so rather than having it in a circle you could open it up and corner off one side of the room. Then for the floor use puppy pads, or a cheap shower curtain with towel and fleece over the top, or an plastic backed incontinence sheet.

Hope you get it all sorted quickly x
Nice find Abi

Nice find Abi
I use one just the same for the boys - it is permanently attached to their hutch. Because they are indoors MrS made a huge wooden tray for it to sit in so the carpet is protected. There is a lip around the tray to try to keep the hay and poops in - it doesn't work! haha!

The one issue is that the pins are meant to be stuck into the ground to secure it outside, as you cant do that inside they stick up by a few inches so you just have to be careful that you don't put your eyes out when bending down (they are curved over like a hook at the top though so not sharp and pointy)!

I have one as well, and it has done well for when my piggies had to move to the kitchen for a few days due to building work.

Here is "Camp Tribe" in the kitchen... If your piggy is on carpet, I would strongly recommend to use a cheap plastic liner/cover from a DIY shop for protection.

IMG_2528.JPG

They all look very happy.

I was going to get a shower curtain and then cover that with newspapers so that the boys can't get at the plastic. I work in a library, so I've got a good supply of newspaper available for regular changing.

Love the trays of hay - it must help contain the mess a bit.

Just hoping to get the boys treated and keep my husband separate and healthy whilst they're indoors.

The eye yesterday:- DSCF0663.JPG

and then today :- IMG_0069.JPG IMG_0070.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 0
They all look very happy.

I was going to get a shower curtain and then cover that with newspapers so that the boys can't get at the plastic. I work in a library, so I've got a good supply of newspaper available for regular changing.

Love the trays of hay - it must help contain the mess a bit.

Just hoping to get the boys treated and keep my husband separate and healthy whilst they're indoors.

The eye yesterday:- View attachment 25907

and then today :- View attachment 25908 View attachment 25909

All the best! Shower curtains are fine!

Unfortunately, once you have got fungal, it has to run its due course. This means that it will get worse before it can get better. The affected area is much larger than visible at first. All the hair in this area needs to come out; fungal typically sits at the root and could stage a comeback if that is not the case.
With luck, the acute phase will last only 7-10 days, followed by a 2 week remission phase. Imaverol is thankfully very effective in removing affected hair, much more so than other products in my experience. Itrafungol does attack fungal from the inside out; it is the mildest of the oral fungicides.

Thankfully, the hair will grow back quickly again from the inside out.

Thank you all for the advice. The octagon run has been perfect for my monsters and their treatment. The run arrived very quickly and I was able to start treatment on the 17th March.

Three dips later and everything appears to be fine. The scratch marks on my arms from bathing have also faded! :)

The boys are thoroughly enjoying playing on the lawn during our heatwave, and I'm greatful not to have to keep deep cleaning their inside accomodation every night.

I'll also looking forward to getting them back out into the hutch soon (hopefully). Hubby is wheezing quite badly after several weeks of hay inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back