• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Emily has lice.

Hannah_xx

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Australia, Victoria. (originally from Essex, UK)
On Saturday morning I suddenly noticed lice in Emily’s little head crest! Lots of them! :yikes:
We drove straight into town to buy puppy/kitten revolution and have now treated all 6 pigs.
Emily lives with Lottie, it’s strange as I can’t see any on Lottie at all.
And I have no idea where they came from! I can’t noticed any on the other 4 pigs either. Perhaps when I got Emily a couple of months ago she had a few eggs on her that have hatched?
So I treated Emily (and everyone else) on Saturday. And I’ve just checked Emily now (Monday night) to see if they’ve all gone. There definitely isn’t as many, but still a few poking around in her hair.
So my question is should I treat her again? Or wait a few more days for it to take effect? I’m unsure how long it should take to kill them all?
B8151B24-AF81-4155-B474-31C5044DCD50.jpeg

Oh poor piggies and you guys. Sorry to hear about them horrible lice. . Well done for treating them as soon as you could.
I don't know about mo're treatment. . Perhaps on here others who piggies have had lice and posted threads there info will help.
Keep calm you doing great. X

On Saturday morning I suddenly noticed lice in Emily’s little head crest! Lots of them! :yikes:
We drove straight into town to buy puppy/kitten revolution and have now treated all 6 pigs.
Emily lives with Lottie, it’s strange as I can’t see any on Lottie at all.
And I have no idea where they came from! I can’t noticed any on the other 4 pigs either. Perhaps when I got Emily a couple of months ago she had a few eggs on her that have hatched?
So I treated Emily (and everyone else) on Saturday. And I’ve just checked Emily now (Monday night) to see if they’ve all gone. There definitely isn’t as many, but still a few poking around in her hair.
So my question is should I treat her again? Or wait a few more days for it to take effect? I’m unsure how long it should take to kill them all?
View attachment 155392

Hi!

Piggies with a healthy strong immune system can usually fend them off quite well. If you catch them early on, the companions won't yet be affected much or at all.
All the best.

Hi!

Piggies with a healthy strong immune system can usually fend them off quite well. If you catch them early on, the companions won't yet be affected much or at all.
All the best.
That’s good to know, Thank you 😊
As Emily still has live lice 3 days after treating, should I give her another drop of revolution?

That’s good to know, Thank you 😊
As Emily still has live lice 3 days after treating, should I give her another drop of revolution?

Please NEVER overtreat/overdose with ivermectin/selamectin and keep strictly to the recommended interval on the packing. It may take more than one round to get rid of them. Overdosing can have serious health consequences. You have to always make sure that the active ingredient has worn off before you can give more when it comes to ivermectin/selamectin.

Please be aware that lice live off the blood in the skin of their host species. Any selamectin/ivermectin product is not quite as effective with lice as it is with mange mites who burrow their eggs.

You can give Emily a 2-3 weeks vitamin C booster to help strengthen her immune system and help her body fight off the lice too.

If the lice are very persistent after 2-3 rounds (some strains can be, others are fairly easy to get rid off), then you can consider a two-pronged approach with a medicated bath but you have to be very careful to leave a 48 hours gap after any skin treatment (bath or spot on) to allow the product to be fully absorbed so you will have to write down a timetable for applications to make sure that the body is not overloaded or any not fully absorbed treatment washed away.
New piggy problems: URI - ringworm - skin parasites

Please NEVER overtreat/overdose with ivermectin/selamectin and keep strictly to the recommended interval on the packing. It may take more than one round to get rid of them. Overdosing can have serious health consequences.

I gave her one drop on Saturday. I wondered if it’s ok to give her one more drop as I know how serious overdosing is. The packet only instructs for puppies, kittens and rabbits which is why I was unsure If I could safely give another drop?

I gave her one drop on Saturday. I wondered if it’s ok to give her one more drop as I know how serious overdosing is. The packet only instructs for puppies, kittens and rabbits which is why I was unsure If I could safely give another drop?

You follow the instructions as per body weight on the package and dose accordingly. But you cannot top up and have to wait until the next round to get it right. PLEASE read the information on the pack carefully before doing anything. This is not the kind of treatment you can fly by the seat of your pants.
If necessary, please see a vet for the accurate dosage and treatment.

We use something called Xeno Spot-on 450. It contains ivermectin and has been prescribed for both lice and mites. You get little tubes with a small, measured amount in each which roughly doses a 1kg pig. We had 1 pig at 900g and 1 at 1200g and it worked on both with no ill effects - I asked if I should try and measure out the dose but vet said it would be OK. Dead simple - squeeze out the tube - you have to get it ON the skin so I mainly dolloped in the bald bits behind the ears and also in the centre of rosettes. If you know what you're doing it can just be bought off the internet.

Now the tricky bit. Each type of parasite has a different life-cycle and the important bit is the repeat dose. One vet told me 2 doses, 3 weeks apart which did not get rid of my parasites (lice on that occasion) but I think he meant 3 doses, each 2 weeks apart which we had always done before and which did work. 6 tubes in a box for 2 piggies - sorted. If you have lots of pigs this can be an expensive method but just for 2 or 3 it's fine and I always treat all my pigs at the same time - I'm not a vet so this isn't a recommendation - it's just what I do. It took the same approach to worming the kids when they were little!

Finally - and this is more for mites - we've never had a very heavy infestation but apparently the stuff causes the mites to sort or spasm as they die so we were warned you might have an evening of frenzied scratching before it all settles down. We've been lucky - we've never had anything like that - but if I got a pig in that condition I would treat under veterinary supervision to try and minimise their discomfort.

Good luck :)

We use something called Xeno Spot-on 450. It contains ivermectin and has been prescribed for both lice and mites. You get little tubes with a small, measured amount in each which roughly doses a 1kg pig. We had 1 pig at 900g and 1 at 1200g and it worked on both with no ill effects - I asked if I should try and measure out the dose but vet said it would be OK. Dead simple - squeeze out the tube - you have to get it ON the skin so I mainly dolloped in the bald bits behind the ears and also in the centre of rosettes. If you know what you're doing it can just be bought off the internet.

Now the tricky bit. Each type of parasite has a different life-cycle and the important bit is the repeat dose. One vet told me 2 doses, 3 weeks apart which did not get rid of my parasites (lice on that occasion) but I think he meant 3 doses, each 2 weeks apart which we had always done before and which did work. 6 tubes in a box for 2 piggies - sorted. If you have lots of pigs this can be an expensive method but just for 2 or 3 it's fine and I always treat all my pigs at the same time - I'm not a vet so this isn't a recommendation - it's just what I do. It took the same approach to worming the kids when they were little!

Finally - and this is more for mites - we've never had a very heavy infestation but apparently the stuff causes the mites to sort or spasm as they die so we were warned you might have an evening of frenzied scratching before it all settles down. We've been lucky - we've never had anything like that - but if I got a pig in that condition I would treat under veterinary supervision to try and minimise their discomfort.

Hi!

The member in this thread is based in Australia (see her location) and does not have access to UK brand xeno. Her state is also currently still not fully out of lockdown conditions.

Thank you for taking the time to offer advice:)
The product I have bought is the best I can get in Aus (and bloody expensive too! Was $60 for 3 teeny tiny drippy things!) I’ve used it before when I got rescue pigs who were infested. And it worked great on them, it was a few years ago now and I have a terrible memory! Can’t remember if I used it once or twice on them over the course of a few weeks.
I’m going to re-read the box tomorrow to see if it’s safe to give Emily another drop.
If it doesn’t cure her problem within a week or so I’ll pop down to the vet with her.
Thanks again :D

Oh I'm sorry! I mis-read... just saw the 'Essex' bit. I'll be more careful in future.
(and thanks to Weibke - I didn't realise Xeno was a UK brand and not more widely available)

Back