Escaping guinea pig!

Kiki93

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My first question is... How big should a cage be for three piggies?

They get to come out on a daily basis, either for cuddles on my sofa and they all get to have a run around or I make a play pen for them on the floor so they can explore!

When they're out penny is the grumpy one! She would much rather stay on your lap and not socialize with the other two. But every time they are out in their play pen she thinks she's spider pig! She will do everything in her power to escape! She jumps high and climbs up the box! But why? Why is she trying to escape for a big space where she can play?!

Any thoughts would be appreciated
Thanks!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My first question is... How big should a cage be for three piggies?

They get to come out on a daily basis, either for cuddles on my sofa and they all get to have a run around or I make a play pen for them on the floor so they can explore!

When they're out penny is the grumpy one! She would much rather stay on your lap and not socialize with the other two. But every time they are out in their play pen she thinks she's spider pig! She will do everything in her power to escape! She jumps high and climbs up the box! But why? Why is she trying to escape for a big space where she can play?!

Any thoughts would be appreciated
Thanks!
Hi and welcome

How long have you had your piggies for?

Here is our illustrated cage size guide: Cage Size Guide
The smallest recommended cage size for 3 piggies is 2x5 ft; any more would be better.

Trios are the most difficult constellation to get right as you are very prone to end up with some sort of outsider problem or other since there are very often two piggie getting on better with each other, leaving the third one out.
These guides here will tell you about learning to understand their behaviour and interaction:
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)

Some piggies love to to jump on things and love to explore, but it would be good if you tested whether your third one is happier with her two companions or away from them (i.e. whether the bond is functional or not). Guinea pigs are social creatures like humans, but like humans that doesn't mean they get on with everybody they get stuck with. And like humans, you get all kinds of sorts. If you have got an adventure piggy, then treasure it and challenge it with new stuff to explore!
Bonds In Trouble
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

You may find our very useful new owners guide collection helpful and interesting as it contains a lot more than just many of the links in this post to help you learn to understand and interact/making friends with your piggies (including a spot of piggy whispering), learn what is normal and what not and how to spot illness early/when to see a vet as well as care, housing and diet advice, including hot weather care, and dangerous cage and toy accessories etc.
Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides