• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Euthanasia: When is it “time”?

Just caught up on this. What an astonishing little rascal Hamish is! :D Despite this being a difficult thread, I've actually found it quite uplifting to see how much everyone's rallying round and how caring everyone is. :)

It's very clear you have Hamish's well-being as your priority, but please remember to be kind to yourself too. :) Sending love and hugs. x :hug:
Thank you for your lovely message. I guess it’s been quite tough as he’s powered through despite the initial poor outlook. On the whole, he embraces life so I’m willing to provide him with whatever he needs to ensure he can be as happy as possible for as long as he wants to keep going. It’s pretty difficult to know when he’s given up as he has a habit of having some off days and then suddenly perking up. He looks pretty bright today and has been squeaking for food which is always a good sign! Xx

Fingers firmly crossed. Please have him checked. Thyroid medication is very difficult to fine tune and to stabilise; the drop in weight is likely connected to that.
Thanks Wiebke! I managed to have a quick chat to my vet prior to her going away. She said it may be that his thyroid is escaping treatment on the current dose. I know she has been very kindly liaising with her friend Agata (who writes for GPM) about his case. Obviously, it’s a bit tricky without her seeing him to judge whether the dose needs adjusting. I may have to pay Simon a visit whilst she’s away. That said, the little rascal has put on 20g in a day (probably from all the grass nibbling he was doing yesterday!)

Fingers firmly crossed for little Hamish.
I agree thyroid meds are so difficult to get right. Not had a thyroid piggy but my daughter had thyroid problems when she was 11 and meds messed with her weight.
Sending you hugs.xx
Thank you 😊. Yes, I think it must be tricky to get the dosage right. I think I had high hopes the medication would work quickly and Hamish would at least hold his weight by himself. We shall persevere! Xx

Thanks Wiebke! I managed to have a quick chat to my vet prior to her going away. She said it may be that his thyroid is escaping treatment on the current dose. I know she has been very kindly liaising with her friend Agata (who writes for GPM) about his case. Obviously, it’s a bit tricky without her seeing him to judge whether the dose needs adjusting. I may have to pay Simon a visit whilst she’s away. That said, the little rascal has put on 20g in a day (probably from all the grass nibbling he was doing yesterday!)

All the best!

Looking after a seriously ill piggy is emotionally very taxing as there is this constant up and down; especially when you are operating in fairly new medical territory where experience is not yet very widespread and treatment well established. Guinea pigs are sadly lacking well behind other pet species.

We started Oliver on 0.2ml twice a day and then reduced it when he regained all his lost weight and continued to gain even more!
Can you recall what Oliver’s weight wa s when you started treatment? I guess Hamish was started on 0.1ml twice per day as a cautious introduction given his low weight. X

All the best!

Looking after a seriously ill piggy is emotionally very taxing as there is this constant up and down; especially when you are operating in fairly new medical territory where experience is not yet very widespread and treatment well established. Guinea pigs are sadly lacking well behind other pet species.
Yes, I agree - tending to Hamish’s extensive regime is quite draining. I feel guilty for taking my eye off the ball for a week and not providing syringe feeding as he seemed to be eating more dry food and hay and his weight was holding steady. I was quite stressed with taking on two new choir jobs this week so I reduced his care down to medication and standard feeding only. However, when I spotted the deterioration, I realised something was amiss so back to the full regime it is! The other pigs get quite excited when we do his feedings, medication and bum clean as they know Hamish gets a treat afterwards so now they’ve come to expect one too. It’s like they’re at the bars yelling: “Hurry up Hamish, scoff that mush down - we want our treat!” 😂

I’m pleased to report Hamish is up to 920g from 820g in just a few days with his supplementary syringe feeding. I’m going to risk a bath for the grubby little fella this evening as he’s improving. I took a nice photo of him chilling out after his syringe feed...7119AC95-89B6-4006-A492-FFE0C0888366.jpeg

I gave the wee man a bath last night and it was heartbreaking to see his tiny frame. He looked like a baby bird with stick thin legs and just resigned himself to laying on his side as he couldn’t stand up in the water.
I’ve booked him in to see Simon at Northampton tomorrow for his opinion on whether it’s fair to persevere. Hamish was sat facing the side of the cage hunched up for some time today. I think we’re getting close to the time I need to make a decision and I’m hoping Simon will help me by giving his honest opinion.
I hope he thinks we can adjust his medications but I’m preparing myself for the fact it may be time to let Hamish go. I will go and get him his favourite herbs for this evening, make sure he sees his pals and give him lots of hugs. Xx

I have been keeping an eye on your thread but just wanted to say that I will also be thinking of you tomorrow.

Will be thinking of both you and Hamish tomorrow.

Whatever decision you make will be the right one as it will be made with love. 💕

I gave the wee man a bath last night and it was heartbreaking to see his tiny frame. He looked like a baby bird with stick thin legs and just resigned himself to laying on his side as he couldn’t stand up in the water.
I’ve booked him in to see Simon at Northampton tomorrow for his opinion on whether it’s fair to persevere. Hamish was sat facing the side of the cage hunched up for some time today. I think we’re getting close to the time I need to make a decision and I’m hoping Simon will help me by giving his honest opinion.
I hope he thinks we can adjust his medications but I’m preparing myself for the fact it may be time to let Hamish go. I will go and get him his favourite herbs for this evening, make sure he sees his pals and give him lots of hugs. Xx
Sending hugs to u and Hamish xx♥️

Thank you for your lovely comments of support. I guess I’ll have to wait until tomorrow. So many times I’ve prepared myself for a final vet trip and many times we’ve decided to persevere. Who knows, maybe Simon might recommend an increase in the Thyronorm or something but he seems very frail. His skin seems to be irritating him a lot around his shoulders so that would need to be addressed. I have even pondered if it’s possible for him to have a latex allergy as the irritation is where I support him when he has his medication. I wear gloves for the Thyronorm so as not to get it on my hands. Clutching at straws a bit here I think. More likely it’s mites or fungal due to his weakened immune system. I’m a bit reluctant to add in more treatments at this stage. If it’s the case of a spot-on treatment then that’s ok but probably not an additional oral medication. He’s already on 4 twice per day plus his syringe food.

Back