• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Euthanizing. Am I making the right decision?

KLY

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to keep this short. Today I came off nightshift and noticed my little lion pig (who is 7 years old may I add) has began to drag her back feet and her bottom is all soiled with faeces. I took her out and noticed that when you touch her left rear foot she squeals.

She was diagnosed in June 2020 with a tumour and lost her cage mate in July 2020 but has surprisingly lasted longer than I thought.

My reason for this post is am I right to get her euthanized? She is still eating, drinking and wheeking but I have noticed a rapid decline. I definitely do not want her suffering but I can't help but feel like the green mile.... sending her to her demise, ending her story. What upsets me more is she doesn't have a clue that this will happen to her.

Any advice would be grateful please.

Hi!
I think you should definitely bring her to a vet ASAP. I don’t know what it could be, but if she is declining it is best to see a vet. Let’s think positively, I’m so sorry for your loss in July. Does she have a cage mage now?

A Vet will let you know if it's time. When I had my piggy PTS last year, they took her and gave her whiff of gas so that she drifted off into a nice sleep and then gave her the injection. When they brought Velvet back they had her all snuggled up in a towel.

:agr: Please have your girl seen by the vet as soon as possible. Give her a bum wash (plain water will do) if she’s soiled. Let us know how you get on 💓

Hi everyone, I gave her bum a good wash and made her comfortable. I also gave her a good last meal of all the things she loves. The vet said there was neurological damage which meant that medications would only prolong her suffering. She was put to sleep at 1pm. I'm devastated but now I know it was the right thing to do.

I’m sorry for your loss. It’s hard but you did what was right for her. Take care of yourself.

Hi everyone, I gave her bum a good wash and made her comfortable. I also gave her a good last meal of all the things she loves. The vet said there was neurological damage which meant that medications would only prolong her suffering. She was put to sleep at 1pm. I'm devastated but now I know it was the right thing to do.
So sorry you’ve lost your little lady, sending you big hugs. I think you made the kindest Decision for her and not let her carry on and start suffering X
Sleep tight little one 🌈

So sorry for your loss. You made the right decision and didn't prolong her suffering. She made it to a good age. She is now popcorning free at The Rainbow Bridge an is in her prime once more. Hugs to you. :hug: :hug: you showed your piggy the last act of love you could give her.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Often the biggest act of love and kindness we can show our pets is helping them over the bridge when they can no longer do all things piggy. Doesn't make it easy to do though and it doesn't get any easier no matter how many times you have to do it. Be kind to yourself

I’m so sorry for your loss, but you did the right thing by not letting her be in pain anymore, big hugs :hug:

:'( so sorry for your loss. At least you could give her a good meal and say goodbye.

Thanks everyone. I sobbed a lot yesterday over her but I know it was the right thing. I think what made me second guess myself was hope. Hope that she would miraculously start walking again etc but I knew truly this would not happen. She outlived my 2 other rainbow pigs and she was definitely a fighter to the end, hence why she is called my Lion pig (Fauna). The house is too quiet now and I don't know how I'll fill my time as my life revolved around my guinea babies.
I like to think I gave them the best chance in life (being rescue guinea pigs) and a great retirement.
But for now, no more guinea pigs. It's too sad to continuously replace them and even sadder that they are little fragile flowers which can decline quickly at the last minute.

I want to stay in this website and pass on my knowledge of pigs and hope I can make a difference.

Thank you all 💖

I'm so sorry 😢. I had my girl PTS in June. When she went to the vets on the Friday, they offered a possible operation for Monday or to have her put to sleep that day (Friday). When I held her, her eyes, how she looked at me, I felt she was saying "give me a chance", so I said no, I'll bring her back [to the vets] on Monday, I can't let her go yet, she still has some fight. So she came back home and spent most of the weekend out on the lawn in really lovely weather with her husboar and sow neighbours.

When I took her to the vets on the Monday, I got the phone call a few hours later to say after x raying her, there wasn't anything they could do. In my heart of hearts I knew already. I held her one last time, told her she'd be going to see her sister who'd died naturally 3 months earlier and the vet said he'd give her the first injection and I could hold her again as she went to sleep. Then he'd take her away again to give her the final injection. The first injection took her.

@KLY, I'm sorry, I'm not trying to steal your thread. Just saying I know just how you feel. How heartbreaking it is to know you have to make the right decision for your piggy and how hard it is. Please take care x

Back