• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Even Match Bonding

Paulaluvpiggy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So we are bonding a new boar teenage I think with with out older boar. I really don't think our older boar is dominant he keeps!running away from the lol guy. He even sits at the exit entrance to the coral like he's had enough get me out of here. However he eventually get sick of it and kind of nips. No major biting but I've been sitting close buy with an oven mit...lol. oh and pouncing no bites though! is this all normal should I grant my older wishes and let him out and back to own pen and try again later or just let what happens happen? Love some advice!

It isn't good to separate unless absolutely neccessary now they are together. If blood is drawn then separate them but so far it sounds like the normal bonding scenario is going on. Mounting,chasing,nipping,squeaking and rumbling is all normal parts of the bonding process. As you're new pig is 'teenage' there is likely some hormones raging there and he is trying to assert dominance over your older pig. Try and wait it out. If you separate when it isn't neccessary you'll have to start over when you reintroduce. It often looks scarier for us then it actually is- I freaked out when bonding my boys.

If it's getting a bit too scary for you perhaps try adding a pile of hay or veges.

So we are bonding a new boar teenage I think with with out older boar. I really don't think our older boar is dominant he keeps!running away from the lol guy. He even sits at the exit entrance to the coral like he's had enough get me out of here. However he eventually get sick of it and kind of nips. No major biting but I've been sitting close buy with an oven mit...lol. oh and pouncing no bites though! is this all normal should I grant my older wishes and let him out and back to own pen and try again later or just let what happens happen? Love some advice!

I am very sorry, but you have to sit it out with boars, or you will have to start in square one again. If necessary, leave them in the bonding pen overnight with no hideys.

if the youngster doesn't step down when he reaches the older boy's limits and they start tussling, I would call the bonding a fail. otherwise you have to see whether they can sort it out between themselves without going right up to the limit. See how they are after they have both had a nap in the bonding pen; that is most tricky moment.
Bonding is always a rather nerve-wracking affair...
Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics

It isn't good to separate unless absolutely neccessary now they are together. If blood is drawn then separate them but so far it sounds like the normal bonding scenario is going on. Mounting,chasing,nipping,squeaking and rumbling is all normal parts of the bonding process. As you're new pig is 'teenage' there is likely some hormones raging there and he is trying to assert dominance over your older pig. Try and wait it out. If you separate when it isn't neccessary you'll have to start over when you reintroduce. It often looks scarier for us then it actually is- I freaked out when bonding my boys.

If it's getting a bit too scary for you perhaps try adding a pile of hay or veges.
Thanks for support! A friend of ours from the pet store who owns a few guineas said to only let them together supervised for like a week...so at bedtime we separate them. What we did was we got a indoor outdoor playpen and put them in it and then attached our old pigs cage to the pen after a day. Yesterday I caught our new piggie sleeping in our older piggies litter box....lol sidenote the day we attached old cage I cleaned with pet spray and vinegar to get rid of old scents as much as possible. They seem to be getting on well napping together however they are still sniffing mounting running nipping and pouncing...how long will this continue? It's nowhere near as frequent but does happen every so often.

As @Wiekbe says, don't separate them once you've started unless you're having to give it up as a no-match. I made that mistake with a rescue boar I was trying to bond with one of mine, and I separated them after they had been together for a couple of days, as they were getting a bit feisty and I had to go out. When I put them back together they basically went for it, and even in the same room they were chattering teeth at each other and getting very irate. Poor Pine had to go home to the sanctuary sooner than expected. I don't know if that's how it usually goes, or if it would have happened anyway, but it was my experience.

Thanks for support! A friend of ours from the pet store who owns a few guineas said to only let them together supervised for like a week...so at bedtime we separate them. What we did was we got a indoor outdoor playpen and put them in it and then attached our old pigs cage to the pen after a day. Yesterday I caught our new piggie sleeping in our older piggies litter box....lol sidenote the day we attached old cage I cleaned with pet spray and vinegar to get rid of old scents as much as possible. They seem to be getting on well napping together however they are still sniffing mounting running nipping and pouncing...how long will this continue? It's nowhere near as frequent but does happen every so often.

The longer you keep separating them, the longer you will see the normal dominance behaviour as they try to establish a working hierarchy and group! Normally the dominance phase takes about 2 weeks; if you separate all the time, it is likely to take longer.

There is nothing wrong with your boars' behaviour. DO NOT SEPARATE!

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice and update. I'm still not sure it's they have completely worked it out but they are definatrly getting along quite well. They have 2 hides but I often catch them napping in the same one which I think is a pretty good sign....havent seen any mounting just a lot of rear sniffing and chasing while doing it...lol...they seem to be like saying to each other your annoying but I can definately put up with you! I had one other quick question cuz we initially had 2 adult boars that we brothers and were bonded. After I'd say a week they went at it drawing blood we separated them for the night the next day they were fine a few days later the one passed away. Is it common for bonded gps to fight like that on occasion or is it more likely the new living situation or possible illness the other sensed a chance to take control? Just curious...thanks!

Back