• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Everyday feeding

Guineapoops2022

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello can I please ask opinions on my piggy’s current diet I have 4 piggy’s around 6-8 months. I’m just concerned whether I should change things up a bit or I’m over feeding which could lead to health issues generally daily my piggies have…

6-7am : 4 table spoons of selective grain free pellets

9-10am : bell pepper & cucumber

Fresh hay

Afternoons : maybe a slice of lettuce as I feel guilty/worried they are hungry or I hear wheeking 🥺

6-7pm : lettuce coriander cucumber green beans, occasional few bits of parsley basil maybe courgette sometimes. I also have hay cookies, forage mixes, pea flakes I’m not sure how often these should be given usually it’s twice a week with pea flakes and forage… I hope I’m not over doing this 🥺

As long as each piggy has unlimited access to fresh hay, one cup of veg and one tablespoon of pellets each a day then that is fine. How you split up their portions and feed it is up to you - some give veg just once a day some split it into two feedings etc

For example, my routine is:

morning - fresh hay, half their veg portion
Throughout day top up hay as needed if I’m at home to do it
Evening - fresh hay, the other half of their veg portion, daily forage. Pellets, if it is a pellet day (mine don’t get pellets every day)

Mine get some forage daily (a variety).
Pea flakes are high in fat so should be kept limited to a treat

If you are going to feed them veg three times a day, then I would suggest you make up their portions in bowls each day so that you can take veg out of that bowl to give to them throughout the day. This ensures you aren’t inadvertently and wildly overfeeding veg by just grabbing some as you pass the fridge, and thus potentially risking them not eating enough hay.

Last edited:
Back