• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Excel Blackcurrant & Oregano changing urine colour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
2 of my pigs have been ill with bloat like symptoms, I have switched them over to excel at the recommendation of my vet, the thing is one of my boys seems to have pink/brown wee. He will do a puddle of normal urine and there will be a pinkish brown spot in it. Most of his wee is a normal colour, is it possible that the blackcurrant in the pellets are making his wee a different colour?

I only went to the vets yesterday for treatment for bloat so I want to be sure before I go again. I'm up to £60 in vets bills already and I'm only a college student so struggling for funds at the moment.

Any help is most appreciated!

It's hard to say, their wee can change colour from food, or sometimes can have a bit of blood in it, though I found the blood to be more bright red. Maybe if you put them on a white towel til they wee and have a better look at it.

I hope someone comes along who has fed the same food and noticed the same thing :)

Have a look on this site, it shows what is normal and what isnt, scroll down to urine.

http://www.guinealynx.info/normal.html

I would have thought if it was blood then he maybe in some kind of pain whilst weeing. As normally if a pig gets a UTI they squeak or strain when weeing. But not every pig does this, so if i was you i would keep an eye on them for now and note any changes. Also do the white towel test and see if its blood or just the urine going through the oxidation process which is talked about in the above link.

I feed that to mine and I havent noticed any difference in there wee, I am not saying, there could be anything else wrong, as I wouldnt know, just that I havent noticed anything different in there wee, if that makes sense.
Anyway I will keep my paws crossed that everything is ok x

You could try syringing unsweetened cranberry juice as much as your piggies will drink. The Ocean Spray variety is a popular choice between members.

This can help to flush the bladder out in case this is the beginning of a UTI

If your piggies are't big drinkers, you could also try syringing water again as much as piggy will drink and offer watery veg such as cucumber, tomato, lettuce etc xx

He just squeaked and a poop came out as well as a patch of pink liquid. I don't know where it's coming from and I just can't cope anymore! 8...

I can't cope with my ill pigs and some days I just want rid of them, I love them so much but I'm constantly worrying and fretting over them. My dad is getting sick of me, saying that I'm a hyperchondriac and my money for vets bills is fastly running out. I want to rehome my boys but my dad won't let me, I can't help but feel that the vet and my parents aren't taking me seriously 8...

He's now peeing bright red blood and his penis tip is covered in blood. The vet can't see us tonight so my dad is collecting antibiotics from them. I don't know how much more I can take! To be plagued by so many problems and he's only a year and 4 months old 8...

How is he thins morning? have you seen a vet?

Bradley is on Baytril twice a day, we think he may have passed a small bladder stone as their was a small clot of blood and something gritty on the end of his penis. He seems much brighter today but doesn't enjoy taking this medicine as much as his Fibreplex.

Just the one pig, Bradley. Though him and his brother have both had signs of bloat. The new excel nugget diet really seems to be doing the job and their tummies are deflating and they are pooping a lot better.

So far 2011 has been really unlucky for me and my family. I had swine flu for 2 weeks, then a urine infection for nearly 2 months, now I can't get rid of my cough. My sister ended up having a horrific birth after she was induced, after many hours of labour she ended up having a c-section that later got really infected and docs were worried her baby was also ill. My other sister's boyfriend had a wagon crash into his work truck yesterday, she was worried sick when she got the phonecall that he'd been in an accident, though thankfully he has walked away with just some cuts and bruises. Then there's been 2 ill piggies in all this.

Bring on 2012 lol.

Sorry to hear you have had such a bad year so far, I really hope it gets better for you and your family xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back