• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Expected treatment for bloat?

Liane

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’m on my way to our local vet with Missy who I suspect has bloat, I can’t get to Simon due to another personal emergency occurring today.

please can someone tell me what treatment I should expect/ask for? I’m in a bit of a state already and don’t want her to be given inadequate care.
Thank you

edit: I’m also googling/searching the forums

I’m on my way to our local vet with Missy who I suspect has bloat, I can’t get to Simon due to another personal emergency occurring today.

please can someone tell me what treatment I should expect/ask for? I’m in a bit of a state already and don’t want her to be given inadequate care.
Thank you

edit: I’m also googling/searching the forums

Hi!

You may find this guide here very helpful: Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
The medical part has been proof-read by an experienced guinea pig keeping exotics nurse but the medications are very much standard for any digestive problems. There is very little choice when it comes to guinea pigs.

All the best!

Usually lots of fluids and gut stimulants. They sometimes keep them in until they are confident the bloat has subsided and they are eating again. I’ve been in this situation a few times whilst Odin has been poorly.
Fingers crossed for your little girl 💕

Hi!

You may find this guide here very helpful: Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
The medical part has been proof-read by an experienced guinea pig keeping exotics nurse but the medications are very much standard for any digestive problems. There is very little choice when it comes to guinea pigs.

All the best!

thank you, this is very helpful. Missy had fluids, metacam, and emeprid at the vets and more to take at home. She’s being syringe fed, too.

The vet was able to hear gut sounds and she did produce some poops in the vets so that’s a positive.

She’s really not in a good way though and I’m very worried. I just hope i got her to the vet in time 😢

thank you, this is very helpful. Missy had fluids, metacam, and emeprid at the vets and more to take at home. She’s being syringe fed, too.

The vet was able to hear gut sounds and she did produce some poops in the vets so that’s a positive.

She’s really not in a good way though and I’m very worried. I just hope i got her to the vet in time 😢
Poops and gut sounds are a great sign! Fingers crossed for her. Hope you’re ok 💕

Fingers very firmly crossed! Please be aware that severe bloat comes in waves. It is a fight that can take days or even weeks.
Be strong for Missy and hang in there as best as you can. Make sure that you snatch some sleep in between, too, especially when it is dragging on.

Sadly, Missy deteriorated rapidly in the early hours of the morning and passed away. I’m devastated 💔😢

I am so sorry for your loss.
Please remember that you had her seen by a vet and did everything possible for your girl.

We also lost a piggy to bloat and I know how devastating it can be.
We had nursed her through several previous episodes, had a good treatment plan in place, and were working closely with our vet. It is a difficult and unpredictable illness even when you do your absolute best.

Be kind to yourself.

I am so very sorry that you lost your beautiful girl. Big hugs from me and the piggies. :hug:

Popcorn free across the rainbow bridge Missy. 💕🌈

Thank you for your kind comments. Still can’t quite believe she’s gone, and so suddenly. It’s very quiet without her 😢

Back