Experience with human allergies to guinea pigs?

Kawts

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,
We have three lovely guineas that we adopted half a year ago. About three months in, I got a “cold” that I couldn’t kick and STILL have symptoms on/off. My doctor believes it’s allergies, and may be caused by my piggies. Does anyone have any experience with this? Open to any help or suggestions besides moving them out of my room. I don’t feel comfortable not having them near me.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Have you tried taking a daily antihistamine?

Mo & Stubbins & Vani

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all,
We have three lovely guineas that we adopted half a year ago. About three months in, I got a “cold” that I couldn’t kick and STILL have symptoms on/off. My doctor believes it’s allergies, and may be caused by my piggies. Does anyone have any experience with this? Open to any help or suggestions besides moving them out of my room. I don’t feel comfortable not having them near me.
Are your allergies caused directly by the piggies? Is it the hay? You could certainly put an air filter in your room. I have one and it keeps the air in my room nice and clean.

Kawts

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Are your allergies caused directly by the piggies? Is it the hay? You could certainly put an air filter in your room. I have one and it keeps the air in my room nice and clean.
I know for sure that I am allergic to their hay—so my partner is in charge of hay. It might still be giving me allergies though. And we do have an air filter but it’s a bit far from the cage. Maybe we should move it closer.

rp1993

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We have a hepa air filter next to our cage, I suffered with allergies when we first got our pigs And it really helped, our pigs are in our living room though not our bedroom. I found that it was the wood shavings that I had a problem with, after switching them to fleece and using high quality dust free hay I am fine!

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Agree with trying other types of hay. Otherwise you really do need to consider moving them out of your room if possible. Perhaps also wearing a mask when you’re dealing with them and the hay etc.

Idris

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I was fine with the GPs but set off by the rabbits (or their hay). Waiting for blood test results now.

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Yes! It helps for a few hours but wears off.
I found the over the counter pharmacy antihistamines (piriteze I think 🤔 ) much better with my rat allergy (still kept 11 rats over the years though! :)) ), stronger and different ingredients to the ones you buy in a ‘normal’ shop. In case they might help :)