• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Expired Critical Care?

S'mores and Pockets

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, my piggy S’mores has been having some weight fluctuations (some more than 50g) so I have been feeding him some CC. The power isn’t expired, but I mixed it with water last night and the 24 hours is almost up. I didn’t realize it had to be refrigerated, and fed some of the already mixed CC to S’mores. It smelled okay, maybe a bit off. It was sitting in a room of about 20° C... he only ate about 1/4 of a tablespoon, so I am hoping the “expired” CC doesn’t affect him.

Will he be okay? Has anyone had an experience similar?

Thank you!

I think you’re supposed to throw away mixed up critical care after 4 hours. My piggies are happy to have freshly mixed critical care but after about 4 hours they’re very reluctant to eat it. Now I mix up only what I need for one feed & make a fresh mixture each time.

I think you’re supposed to throw away mixed up critical care after 4 hours. My piggies are happy to have freshly mixed critical care but after about 4 hours they’re very reluctant to eat it. Now I mix up only what I need for one feed & make a fresh mixture each time.
The package says 24 hours. Yes I normally only mix up a bit at a time, but he was done before finishing the CC.

Any CC powdered mixed up is fine to use for 24 hours.i would dispose of any left over mixture after that.it is preferable any mixture thats is made up is place in the fridge.it can be difficult to get the correct or desired consistency without some previous experience.i hope your piggies get well soon.

Any CC powdered mixed up is fine to use for 24 hours.i would dispose of any left over mixture after that.it is preferable any mixture thats is made up is place in the fridge.it can be difficult to get the correct or desired consistency without some previous experience.i hope your piggies get well soon.
Yes, I threw it away after. And will be keeping mixed CC in the fridge, until the 24 hours is up (if needed) My piggie likes it thick and eats it right off a spoon. He’s been having CC for the past weeks, so I think I got the hang of it. Thank you!

Back